Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 03:17 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189537 - 10/15/09 01:26 PM what to do with feeder wires?
adroga Offline

Loc: canada
I have a weird question...

Just to preface I am a second year apprentice. I need to replace the gutters and fascia boards on my house, but I only have a 100 amp entrance that is below the roofline.

The feeder wires are supported by a hook that screws into the wood fascia boards that extends below the gutter.

In order to replace the fascia I need to unhook the wire support. Is it wise to leave the wires hanging from the weatherhead for a short period of time? Or possibly use a rope looped behind the weatherhead to support the wires?

Thank you for any advice...

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#189540 - 10/15/09 04:10 PM Re: what to do with feeder wires? [Re: adroga]
mikesh Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
Get in touch with the local utility and tell them what you need to do with the facia board. You may have to install a new attachment and add reinforcing so that the facia board is not the only thing the hook is attached to. I don't know what the utility in your area requires but it is not acceptable here to just use a facia board as the only anchor for a clevis. We require something structural like one of the studs or rafters. it is likely that the utility will use a rope with bunch of half hitches attached to a temporary anchor. cover the service drop with an insulating sleeve etc so it is safe for you to change the facia board. I doubt that even as a partly trained electrician that you are allowed to touch those wires.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals