ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 149 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#188331 07/31/09 07:40 PM
S
Just done a service change today, and when I use a weatherproof panel and a meter base above it, I usually just use (2) 2" pvc terminal adapters,1 out of hub on panel and 1 into bottom of meter base. The 2 adapters would not line up on the one I done today. I had already got my measurement on the mounting location of the panel and mounted it with the wires in it before I found out the 2 adapters would not line up. I could have used a metal 2" offset nipple ( probably should have:( ) but I didn't want to have to use a bonding bushing. Instead I thought I would use a pvc offset I seen at Lowes. I ended up using it, but instead of having threads on each end, it had a coupling on one end and threads on the other. In order to use it I had to add another terminal adapter and cut a piece of pvc to go between. In normal circumstances this may have not made a difference, but my meter was going to be a little high anyway, but by having to use this type of offset, it made it even higher.
My question: Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes one with threads on both ends??? If none makes one like that, I wonder why not. Obviously they are not aware of this type of installation..Maybe some of you do it differently than I do. I like to use a meter/combo when I can, but can't seem to find a good supplier with a decent price that carries the variety that I need sometimes. One of my suppliers told me that the biggest meter/combo that Square D makes is a 200 amp 24/40 circuit meter combo which sometimes will work, but then after 24 you have to use the more expensive breakers. Anybody else run into these situations or knows any other suppliers that has a better variety? I'm thinking about shopping over the internet for my panels if I can. Getting kind of frustrated with the availability in my area. Thanks for any input... Steve

H
Sparky,

Most PVC manufacturers sell a chase nipple which glues into a coupling or the socket of the conduit (from 1/2" to at least 4" in size). I think they are called box adaptor or maybe panel adaptor. I prefer to use them instead of male or female adaptors when connecting PVC to a sheet metal type enclosure. There is no bushing needed and they only protrude into the cabinet about a quarter of an inch. For large services using large cable with tight bends, it can make the wire bending a lot easier. Normally a hammer is needed to persuade the adaptor to slide into the coupling all the way, or cutting off about a 1/4" will make them more user friendly.

S
Homer, thanks for the advice. Are you saying a 2" box adapter will slide into a 2" terminal adapter? If so, this would have lowered my meter base 2 or 3 inches. Thanks again, I will check into it myself, and be prepared next time smile Steve...

Link Copied to Clipboard