ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
A commercial building recently added electrically secured locks to its' doors. The installer ran his wire through a convenient duct:

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

To be fair, there were all manner of structural members in the way. As literally the last contractor in this remodel, I can see why no one wanted to tear the walls apart.

Indeed, I found this when I used that very duct to get the access I needed to instal a required luminaire. I'm sure any HVAC guy would grit his teeth at the mess I made re-assembling the ductwork!

So ... do we continue to cry about the LV guys being able to get away with this - or do we recognize that the NEC is pretty much irrelevant for them?

Y
You buy rags you get rags the old saying goes right. (not very professional to say the least).

at least they got taped up

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
G
Even if I was willing to say the NEC doesn't apply to low voltage and that is certainly not true, there are fire codes and mechanical codes that deal with wiring in duct work.

I doubt a foot of wire in that duct is really that big a hazard but I would still want to see it plenum rated, just for the precedent.
If a foot is OK, how about 3 feet? 10 feet? 100 feet?

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard