ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1874 - 06/04/01 06:04 PM Self grounding receptacles.
Redsy Offline
Loc: Bucks County PA
An older home with metal boxes that don't have threaded grounding holes has both top & bottom cable clamps utilized. The grounds are twisted together, cut very short and are not connected to the box. I may be able to use crimp sleeves to install a ground pigtail. If I connect the pigtail to a self-grounding receptacle, will the grounded receptacle effectively ground the box, or does the concept of self-grounding receptacles only work the reverse way
(grounded boxes don't require pigtail)?
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#1875 - 06/04/01 06:29 PM Re: Self grounding receptacles.
sparky Offline
Redsy;
so your Q would be does the recp carry a ground to the box, as it would normally carry a ground from box to rec.

either way it goes thru the 6-32's , this may be pertinent to how it's worded...

i wish they were truley self grounding for those K&T jobs, but i guess that would be like wishin' for a self cleaning chicken
#1876 - 06/05/01 05:00 AM Re: Self grounding receptacles.
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
In an application where there's no threaded hole for the ground screw or it's impractical to use the hole, I use ground clips.(Don't particularly like them, tho) I don't have the book here, but I think the ground to the box can't be dependent on the device. (said w/ my Crawfish net in hand and ready for action)
#1877 - 06/05/01 05:25 AM Re: Self grounding receptacles.
Bill Addiss Offline
Loc: NY, USA
Redsy,

That is a good question!

Would the self-grounding receptacle itself qualify as a "listed grounding device" as in 250-148(a)? I'm thinking that it would not because that is not it's sole purpose.

I think that Electures' grounding clips would be the best way out. (I don't like them either)

Bill
#1878 - 06/06/01 05:23 PM Re: Self grounding receptacles.
sparky Offline
i think you guys nailed it with 250-148 & the clips, good job!

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals