09/29/16 06:46 AM
short circuit??
by Meadow
09/29/16 06:43 AM
Norwegian power?
by Meadow
09/29/16 06:36 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 11
sparky 10
gfretwell 8
Potseal 7
Vlado 6
Who's Online
1 registered (Webmaster), 310 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185892 - 04/03/09 12:00 AM Offset EMT connectors in Bell boxes
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I was putting EMT in a Bell box the other day and I tried one of those offset connectors. I got lucky that in one end it lined up right with it wrench tight but if I had needed one on the other end I would have been in trouble. Made up tight without a lock nut it was about 90 degrees from laying against the wall and with a lock nut there weren't enough threads engaged to actually tighten it up.
Usually I just bend an offset but I was trying something new.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#185935 - 04/06/09 11:12 AM Re: Offset EMT connectors in Bell boxes [Re: gfretwell]
JValdes Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I just bend the small offset myself. If you are doing many many boxes they do make a tool to bend this offset. Looking, it is a time saver, but I have not used one before.

#185937 - 04/06/09 06:14 PM Re: Offset EMT connectors in Bell boxes [Re: JValdes]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
Greg, I think maybe you misunderstand the reason for those offset connectors. Let's look at another job, just for the fun of it ...

You are installing a timer, a contactor, a manual bypass switch - all next to a surface mount panel. Your various enclosures and boxes have pre-punched knock-outs.

Now ... look closely ... the KO's are not at the same distance from the wall. Your 4" box, in particular, has it's KO's much closer to the wall than the others. What to do?

Well, that's where the offset connector comes in handy. Using it, you can instantly adjust for whatever minor differences there may be.

#185938 - 04/06/09 06:24 PM Re: Offset EMT connectors in Bell boxes [Re: renosteinke]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
Reno I am guessing you are talking about the thread to thread connector with lock nuts on both ends. These are EMT to thread.
It does make a lot cleaner installation than an offset, less places for spider webs. wink
When used with a KO and a lock nut it is easy to insure it is tight when properly aligned. When you have a threaded hub like a Bell box it gets tougher.

#185939 - 04/06/09 09:46 PM Re: Offset EMT connectors in Bell boxes [Re: gfretwell]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
EMTto thread? How ... decadent! laugh

#185958 - 04/07/09 07:48 PM Re: Offset EMT connectors in Bell boxes [Re: renosteinke]
NORCAL Offline

Bending a offset looks a whole lot better then one of those fittings & a Greenlee "little kicker" is nice & quick.

#185961 - 04/07/09 08:36 PM Re: Offset EMT connectors in Bell boxes [Re: NORCAL]
EV607797 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA, USA
I've never been a fan of those offset fittings. They send up a big red "DIY" flag to me, just like factory-made EMT ells that they sell in the big box stores. A nice clean EMT job with professional bends and offsets (not just guessed where the box ends up at the end of the pipe) have always impressed me.

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."

#185982 - 04/09/09 06:25 AM Re: Offset EMT connectors in Bell boxes [Re: EV607797]
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
The Greenlee "Little Kicker" makes consistent offsets, but because it's non-adjustable for the depth of the offsets, they're consistently...... the wrong depth.

It doesn't bend to the depth of any box offset that I've ever encountered, and the conduit (or the bender) has to be rotated for the EMT to fit flat on the wall.

I'd rather bend my own.

#185988 - 04/09/09 09:31 AM Re: Offset EMT connectors in Bell boxes [Re: EV607797]
Bigplanz Offline

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: EV607797
I've never been a fan of those offset fittings. They send up a big red "DIY" flag to me, just like factory-made EMT ells that they sell in the big box stores.

You say that like it's a bad thing. smile

We get lots of people pulling homeowner's permits, so those fittings, ells, etc. make it easier for the homeowner to do his/her own work (perfectly legal here, with a permit, and they live in the house). If it meets code, we approve it. Doesn't meet code, we don't, same as any other permit pulled by an EC.

#186037 - 04/12/09 02:08 PM Re: Offset EMT connectors in Bell boxes [Re: Bigplanz]
Tom Offline

Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
I've been using the Greenlee Little Kicker for many years and all the offsets for 1/2" EMT fit 4x4 & 4 & 11/16 boxes perfectly. The 3/4" model is a little different and how much offset you get depends on how far you pull the handle, you can offset too much for a 4x4 box.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals