ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#184589 02/13/09 11:06 PM
L
leland Offline OP
Owners:
If a resume crosses your desk (that you advertised for) and the applicant has more than you need:

1)Ignore them, Thinking they demand too much compensation.
2)Interview and see what you and they have to offer each other.(negotiate)

I'm in this spot (potential employee), Too many years of service and am unfortunate enough to have a vast knowledge, From distribution to Intercom/central Vac.. With a specialty.
A few have advertised for my specialty: But no call backs.

Is it me?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
leland #184591 02/13/09 11:25 PM
Cat Servant
Go with the guy! Worried he'll eventually leave? Well, nothing is forever ...

The other extreme is the guy who claims to be a pro, but turns out to be a dabbling amateur. Don't hold this guy's real qualifications against him.

M
There's usually a lot more to consider than just a person's experience. Being overqualified can move you down on the list but won't always be enough to get you off the list.

I just hired a new guy a week ago. We had over 100 applicants for the position. A dozen got interviews. In this economy, any strike against you (even being overqualified) can hurt your chances. I assume I'm like most people that are hiring, I don't have a lot of time to spend interviewing. So I pick the dozen that are the most likely to actually be hired. So, If I'm offering $30K and you just left a job making $100K, you're probably off the list. I know that you can do the job but it's likely that you'll either A) be disgruntled, or B) not give me 100% because you will be focused on finding the next "real" job.

I did interview two guys that had great experience and I suspected going in that they would be overqualified and they were. My interviews are just two guys talking, not a formal list of questions. We talked about their experience, the available job, and other stuff and we both understood that this wasn't the job they really wanted. But they still got as far as an interview.

I have some advice for job hunters. Give me lots of info on your application. Include a resume. The competition is tough right now and lots of guys got cut from my list just because I didn't have enough information to really know if they were what I was looking for. Some of these guys probably would have been considered if they had written more. A job application and resume is your only opportunity to sell yourself, your skills, and your abilities. Don't just fill in the blanks. Market your attitude and skills to me.

Good luck.

L
leland Offline OP
Your points make good seance.However, in this case more may be a detriment (info on resume).Don't want to intimidate,Just let them know what I have to offer.

4-Employers since 1982, That you would think counts for something.

Unfortunately, I was privileged enough to work for some great contractors (one stop shops),Learned a lot and excelled and expanded in my career.

On the other hand that opens me up to many more opportunities I guess.
Just trying to get inside the Corporate mind.
First Time out of work in 30 years. Quite different.

leland #184623 02/14/09 01:50 PM
Cat Servant
All I can suggest is that your letter / resume be custom written to address what you think the needs of the potential employer may be. Don't go too far, though, and try to do his thinking for him.

Even in these tight times, I have seen a number of insincere job postings. Why do I call them insincere? Because of little things, such as the folks at the firm claiming no knowledge of their own ad, or them simply not hiring anyone - even when that meant surrendering their license! I have also seen various 'placement firms' run ads for completely imaginary positions .... aparrently trying to puff up their own numbers.

Broom Pusher and
Don't "Dumb-Down" your Resume, or listed qualifications!!!
Just make the first page more "Eye-Catching", and present qualifications details on 2nd page.

You may want to provide a Resume "per type of lead", or a "Basic" one with a more detailed "Follow-Up" document.

It all depends on what type of Employment position you are looking for.

If you need work yesterday, and are sending your Resume out to every lead in the Classifieds, trim the qualifications down to bring attention to the most "Eye-Catching" points a Manager will look for:

* Journeyman Abilities and experience,
* Foreman Abilities and experience,
* What types of projects done.

Briefly list your above average abilities later in the document.
Bring as much attention to the things which an Interviewing Person is looking for - a Journeyman to fill a void in a project's work force!

If you are looking for a Career position, lead in with brief descriptions, making them "Eye-Catching" to a Manager looking for a qualified asset.

Cover sheets are helpful. These give a quick view of the candidate, along with giving a more professional appearance.

If you get a response from your submission, try to find out if the lead is just looking for "Anyone Cheap" to fill a hole (the "hole" may be due to high employee turn-over), and if the position is long term or just temp.

If looking for Career position, try speaking to an interviewer directly, so as to avoid unsuccessful leads.

Push for a meeting!

Do not discuss pay rate on the Telephone. Wait to "Negotiate" this during an interview.
Discussing pay rate on the first Telephone call typically means the lead is looking for "Anyone Cheap".

When going to an Interview Meeting, bring some documentation describing your advanced qualifications, and/or some examples of your work (an as-built plan, panel schedules, invoices, etc. something to discuss with an interviewer).

Bring a quality printed copy of your Resume, and if possible, create and fill-out (printed) an Application for Employment.

Currently, I only review prospective Employees for Foreman, Proj. Management and Design positions.
When a Resume comes to me for review, it has already been selected for consideration. I look for key points first, then advanced qualifications second.
My conclusion is based on the two items above.

At an interview, I like to see some working examples, and really like a detailed abilities document to read over after the meeting.

Prospective candidates are invited to a "Follow-Up" meeting.

Previously, I would review for mostly Field Personnel (Helpers, Apprentices, Journeymen, and Foremen), but that was prior to 2004!

I need to point out the Resume / Application review processes are, at times, overwhelming!
There are so many to review, and choosing the right ones is not a simple thing!!!

Making your documents "Catch Someone's Attention" is extremely important. Keep it concise at first, with additional information on following page(s).

Looking Professional is as important as showing qualifications. This goes for printed documents, personal appearance, and how you speak.

I suggest you compile your documents, and have them reviewed by others (Managers, Contractors, etc.)
Find the positive points and build on them.

Outline your data on a Cover Sheet, and show specific details within a brief Resume.
Cover advanced details in a separate Resume, submitted at your first meeting.

The reason I am so intent on documents submitted at the first meeting is that an Interviewer may review the information after the meeting, and it makes the candidate easier to remember.

At the meeting, be yourself! Be calm, relaxed, and truthful in your responses.
Bring note paper, pen / pencil, etc. for taking notes during the meeting.

Be at least 10 minutes early to fill out whatever documents needed - but not so early as to pressure an earlier interview.
If you are late, call ahead to reschedule - but do not be late!!! smile

Fill out the Application in it's entirety, and if you have created a Personal Application, submit it with the Company's document.

If they have a test, fill it out completely.
Here is a good way to display advanced knowledge!
Include some "additional information" with the answers to make things interesting (keep things brief).
This will almost always get you noticed and setup for a good interview.

Get business cards.

Follow up with Thank You letter.

I could go on and on, but let's hear from others.

Good luck!

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
L
leland Offline OP
Thanks for the useful replies to date.
It's been 3 weeks resumes a plenty out there,only 1 reply so far and interview,Not what either of us needed. oh well.
(these are advertised positions mind you)

So I have called back the ones who gave a number,and am getting ready to re-Email the info.All have had a nice cover letter geared towards the posting.

However,I respond to "list salary requirements" with 'negotiable'.

Is this the wrong answer? I really just want to get in the door and have a 1 on 1.

Thanx again

leland #185015 02/27/09 09:32 PM
Cat Servant
Lee, don't be surprised. It has been my experience that the vast majority of 'help wanted' ads are never filled. At the very minimum, it seems that the folks in Personnel are simply keeping themselves busy.

Link Copied to Clipboard