ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183648 - 01/17/09 04:57 PM Fan control driving Solid State kitchen hood fan
Redsy Offline
Loc: Bucks County PA
A customer has a high-end range hood with a variable speed motor.
The controls for the fan and lights are difficult for his wife and daughter to reach, so he wants to add a speed control on the wall.
The controls for the existing fan are electronic, and I don't believe that putting a fan control ahead of them (or after them)is a good idea.
It would be (2) controllers wired in series.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#183654 - 01/17/09 07:07 PM Re: Fan control driving Solid State kitchen hood fan [Re: Redsy]
HotLine1 Online   content

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
John:
Check with the mfg first. Personally...I would not touch it. Could turn into you buying a hood you might not like!
#183659 - 01/17/09 10:40 PM Re: Fan control driving Solid State kitchen hood fan [Re: HotLine1]
Rewired Offline
Loc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
If this is a brand new install or the hood still has a factory warranty on it I would not touch it either.. If the hood is out of factory warranty or it was for myself say, I would bypass the existing controls for both the light and fan, and then use a standard speed control for the fan and a separate switch or even a dimmer for the light.

A.D
#183671 - 01/18/09 07:57 PM Re: Fan control driving Solid State kitchen hood fan [Re: Redsy]
Redsy Offline
Loc: Bucks County PA
Thanks guys!

It seems we are all on the same page.

John

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals