ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#182662 12/05/08 08:01 PM
S
It's almost the end of the year again, and I'm thinking about investing more of my money in office equipment, tools,etc. I'd rather have something for my money, than send it to Uncle Sam. I think I need it more than he does. Of course the hard thing is to pay it back, but I'll have to pay Uncle Sam anyway. What are some other thoughts on the matter? I don't really have the money to spend, but if I don't spend it on the company, I'll sure have to give it to the gov. Steve...

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
sparkync #182664 12/05/08 08:38 PM
Cat Servant
This is what you pay your CPA for: professional guidance as to making such purchases.

At this point, you ought to have a pretty good idea as to your tax liability. This weekend, play "let's pretend," and prepare your taxes as if the year was over. How much do you owe?

Now, do it all over again, only add, say, $3000 in office expenses. How does it change your bottom line? How much does it affect your tax obligation?

The 'dirty little secret' regarding tax deductions is ... you have to first make the money, before you can spend it. All the write-offs in the world won't help you if your business is already marginal.

In short, buy / lease something first of all because you need it, and it will carry itself. Any tax savings are but 'gravy.'

Yeah, i agree with John.

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
JoeKP #182680 12/06/08 02:22 PM
S
My tax preparer said all my tools were 100% deductible, and that a new computer etc. could be 100% deductible in one year, and not have to be depreciated. The bottom line of my taxes is that I expect to have to pay a bunch, around $5500.00 at least. Yea, I know, I should have been paying on it through the year, but haven't been able to consistantly. Thanks for the input.

sparkync #182682 12/06/08 03:22 PM
G
When I had my business I always did the "lets pretend" John was talking about in December to see if it was a good time to buy something. If you are really going to be sending Sam money and there is something you need, December is the time to buy it.
Careful timing and a sharp pencil on your schedule C can reduce your taxable profits. Don't forget any "expenses" when you are tallying them up.

Greg Fretwell
Z
Interestingly enough, boots are deductible and jeans are not. Of course, tools and administrative costs are deductible (including your computer), and your truck if you use it only for business.

Anybody have any other tips on deductions out there? Be sure before you post, as I have been audited, and I can tell you, it is no picnic. They allow no "gray" areas whatever.

Zapped #182704 12/07/08 02:58 AM
G
I was a contractor/inspector, paid on a 1099 and filing on a schedule C when I was working (retired now).
I always deducted the cost of CEUs and the various code books, CDs etc. That can be quite a big number if you get the whole set every cycle (electrical and building).
The strange thing was my books and disks was my biggest asset when it came time to pay my tangible taxes. My PCs were all junkers when I started and I never really had more than a hundred bucks in them through any given tax year.
I managed to get away with the dreaded home office too. Just keep good records. I had one audit and they ended up giving me money.
I still pay tangible taxes on my code books since I keep my license up but since I don't have any revenue I can't write anything off.

Greg Fretwell
E
Spend, spend, spend! Help the economy, get some writeoffs. smile

I have done more than my fair share this month. Probably too much. cry

sparkync #182774 12/09/08 09:29 PM
S
I started buying tools today, setting up ads in yellow pages,newspaper, and looking into getting a new computer setup. Thinking of other ways to advertise. I think that is my main goal now. I GOT to get some work to pay for these things. crazy I guess I've always got the option to travel. I may have to if I can't pay for this stuff grin Steve.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard