by Vlado
09/24/16 09:33 AM
breaker meltdown
by crselectric
09/24/16 12:42 AM
Electrical mast flashing product
by ThomasWinfrey
09/22/16 12:14 AM
What estimating software do you recommend?
by sparky
09/21/16 07:20 PM
"Dry Run" Inspection goes awry
by HotLine1
09/20/16 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 14
sparky 9
sparky66wv 8
gfretwell 8
Vlado 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182426 - 11/26/08 10:21 AM ICC E1 and E2 electrical code inspectors
sokoservices Offline

Loc: Virginia
What can people tell me about becoming an electrical code inspector? I have been looking and most places require you to take the ICC exam. It looks like another exam simular to the journeyman's exam. 60 questions and 3.5 hours to complete it. Any thoughts?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#182432 - 11/26/08 11:59 AM Re: ICC E1 and E2 electrical code inspectors [Re: sokoservices]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
Just be sure you take the right test for your area. I did the whole series of IAEI tests (2A,2B,2C) and then found out Florida only accepted SBCCI. It was good training tho. I blew through the SBCCI tests in about 1/3d the allotted time. The questions were very similar and by the time I got to my 5th test (SBCCI residential) I was just clicking them off, out the door in 45 minutes. The only real down side was all the extra money I spent.
There is usually some "experience" ticket you need punched too.

#182435 - 11/26/08 01:12 PM Re: ICC E1 and E2 electrical code inspectors [Re: gfretwell]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Soko:
Check with the State dept that controls licensure for whatever the requirements are in your locality.

Here in NJ we have 2 levels of elec inspector (ICS/HHS) then 'Sub-Code', which equates to 3 test modules. If you want NJ info, I can get you the link Monday.

#182477 - 11/28/08 09:50 AM Re: ICC E1 and E2 electrical code inspectors [Re: sokoservices]
Niko Offline

Loc: Campbell, CA
as replied before check with your state and see what the requirements are.
I have taken ICC test and i think it is too easy. they need to make these tests a bit more challenging. IMO.

Edward

#182479 - 11/28/08 10:31 AM Re: ICC E1 and E2 electrical code inspectors [Re: Niko]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
What happened to the idea that ... before one could become an inspector .... they were first expected to be competent in the trade?

I'm not sure I like this test-taking nonsense. I an seeing far too many inspectors who couldn't wire a light switch. Some junior colleges even have nine-month certificate programs in "inspection technology!"

#182508 - 11/29/08 07:51 AM Re: ICC E1 and E2 electrical code inspectors [Re: renosteinke]
sokoservices Offline

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: renosteinke
What happened to the idea that ... before one could become an inspector .... they were first expected to be competent in the trade?

I'm not sure I like this test-taking nonsense. I an seeing far too many inspectors who couldn't wire a light switch. Some junior colleges even have nine-month certificate programs in "inspection technology!"

I have been in the trade for 13 years now. I have just finally decided to take my tests to be OFFICIALLY in the trade.

#182599 - 12/03/08 05:36 PM Re: ICC E1 and E2 electrical code inspectors [Re: sokoservices]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Link to NJ DCA re: license application requirements

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/codes/licensingunit/pdf/licens_info_bklet.pdf

Experience within field is required in most cases, unless you are an Architect or Lic. PE/EE. Happy reading, 47 +/- pages PDF

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals