by Vlado
Today at 09:33 AM
breaker meltdown
by crselectric
Today at 12:42 AM
Electrical mast flashing product
by ThomasWinfrey
09/22/16 12:14 AM
What estimating software do you recommend?
by sparky
09/21/16 07:20 PM
"Dry Run" Inspection goes awry
by HotLine1
09/20/16 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 17
gfretwell 9
sparky 9
sparky66wv 8
Vlado 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182107 - 11/18/08 05:39 PM Taking Over: Slow dance, or Stepping on toes?
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
I've been presented the oppurtunity to take over a job. That is, the customer is not happy with the current EC - I suspect he doesn't like the prices.

I'd like to hear your thoughts of the ethics of the issue.

Business, Office, Estimating, Legal:
#182113 - 11/18/08 06:16 PM Re: Taking Over: Slow dance, or Stepping on toes? [Re: renosteinke]
Electricmanscott Offline

Loc: Holden, MA USA
Not knowing the whole situation I'll just say I'd have no problem doing it.

#182119 - 11/18/08 07:14 PM Re: Taking Over: Slow dance, or Stepping on toes? [Re: Electricmanscott]
twh Offline

Loc: Regina, Sask.
Unless you check with the other contractor, you are only getting one side of the story. Sometimes it's the contractor who is refusing to return.

Also, when you take over the job, you also take responsibility for the other guy's work. For example, if his wires are too small, you have to replace them.

There are no ethical issues. Just make sure you get paid.

#182126 - 11/18/08 08:55 PM Re: Taking Over: Slow dance, or Stepping on toes? [Re: twh]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa

You didn't say what phase the job was in.
If there is a significant amount of uninspected work, I would call for a "partial" inspection on the work done before you put your name on the permit. The inspector may be able to shed some light on what is going on if there were problems.

#182132 - 11/18/08 11:20 PM Re: Taking Over: Slow dance, or Stepping on toes? [Re: gfretwell]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
Those are very good thoughts.

If nothing else, the city here seems to discourage this situation. First, their fee is nearly a grand to re-issue the permit.

Second, if the EC signed off on the electrical, I'd have to submit my own drawings for the permit.

#182135 - 11/19/08 01:05 AM Re: Taking Over: Slow dance, or Stepping on toes? [Re: renosteinke]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
Here in Lee County Fl they are pretty easy going about changing a sub on a permit. I think the fee is only $35 (maybe $50, they did just up some fees). You do not need to resubmit the plans.

#182143 - 11/19/08 06:04 AM Re: Taking Over: Slow dance, or Stepping on toes? [Re: gfretwell]
wire_twister Offline

Loc: Georgia USA
I would go the partial inspection route, and take lots of pictures to document what shape the job was in when you took over. As far as ethics, I do not see a problem, unless you are friends with the other EC. You are assuming responsibility for any work that is already covered up, if you know the other ECs work is good than you have no worries.

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals