by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
1 registered (sparkyinak), 237 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181237 - 09/26/08 07:17 AM Bringing color back on faded fiberglass ladder?
KJay Offline

Loc: MA, USA
Does anyone know if it is possible to bring the color back on the outer rails of a slightly faded fiberglass extension ladder?
I don’t need it to be perfect, but would like have it look like somebody actually cares about it. I was wondering if a buffing wheel and Trewax or white polishing compound like is used on fiberglass boats would work with out damaging the ladders integrity or making the surfaces too slippery. Am I being too superficial about appearance? Any experiences with doing this?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#181243 - 09/26/08 09:31 AM Re: Bringing color back on faded fiberglass ladder? [Re: KJay]
JValdes Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I think you are going overboard. IMO

#181244 - 09/26/08 10:49 AM Re: Bringing color back on faded fiberglass ladder? [Re: JValdes]
EV607797 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA, USA
My son uses auto wax on his ladders and yes, he buffs them too. He's pretty picky, but he's a CATV installer and wants his truck to look sharp. I can't say that I'd blame him. He also says that having a smooth surface makes them a lot easier to extend when handling the ladder by himself.

I can speak from experience that UV exposure will eventually deteriorate them if something isn't done. I have a 28' one that literally had a foot break off due to UV rot. You should take care of them before this happens.

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."

#181252 - 09/26/08 08:14 PM Re: Bringing color back on faded fiberglass ladder? [Re: EV607797]
KJay Offline

Loc: MA, USA
 Originally Posted By: EV607797

I can speak from experience that UV exposure will eventually deteriorate them if something isn't done. I have a 28' one that literally had a foot break off due to UV rot. You should take care of them before this happens.

Presevation was also a big concern. This ladder is almost 18 years old, but still in good condition overall. I don't want the fiberglass strands to break down as it is a nice Type 1A with the pole rest and messenger hooks on it. I think I'm going to try the mild compound and wax and see how it goes.

#181254 - 09/26/08 08:32 PM Re: Bringing color back on faded fiberglass ladder? [Re: KJay]
BigB Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
Why don't you just coat it with UV resistant clear laquer from a rattle can? I do this with my fiberglass fish rods when they start to get splintery (Thats a word, right?).

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals