by Tjia1981
Yesterday at 09:09 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by annemarie1
10/12/16 01:23 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
renosteinke 6
HotLine1 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
1 registered (Texas_Ranger), 166 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181226 - 09/26/08 03:49 AM When there's no room for a double adaptor.
aussie240 Offline

Loc: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
While travelling interstate, the clock radio in one of the hotel rooms was inoperative. I simply assumed it to be turned off at the power point so went looking and found this behind the bed:

The bedside light shares the same plug! You can see two seperate lots of double insulated two core flex going into the one plug. In case you're wondering why the vacant socket wasn't made use of instead, there was apparently an electric blanket plugged into it in the past.
It would surely not be compliant with any standard but despite the element of bodge, I have to say I can't really fault it from a safety point of view. The plug can easily accomodate a heavy three core flex and strain relief is by mouldings in the plug which clamp down when the cover is screwed shut.
Anyone care to share interesting examples of hotel wiring?

Edited by pauluk (09/26/08 06:33 AM)
Edit Reason: Image copied to ECN server

Test Equipment:

Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement
Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement

#181276 - 09/29/08 04:21 AM Re: When there's no room for a double adaptor. [Re: aussie240]
SteveFehr Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Some hotels in europe that cater to americans will have dual-voltage outlets, where every receptacle has a 230V european and 120V american (50Hz) socket. Makes it convenient \:\)

I've yet to find a 60Hz appliance that won't work fine at 50Hz. I'm sure there are some clocks or whatever out there, but it hasn't been an issue for me.

#181287 - 09/30/08 07:40 AM Re: When there's no room for a double adaptor. [Re: SteveFehr]
Texas_Ranger Online   content

Loc: Vienna, Austria
I know that trick... the only arguments against it are a) listing violation and b) improper strain relief, at least that's what I heard.

Hotel wiring... the Greek hotel where I stayed in 2003 had mostly Schuko receptacles (as is the norm in Greece) but the bedside lamps were plugged into Swiss receptacles for some weird reason.

#181300 - 10/01/08 03:53 AM Re: When there's no room for a double adaptor. [Re: Texas_Ranger]
IanR Offline

Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Maybe, so people would be less likely to steal the lamps?
I have seen a lot of hotels that hard wire the lamps, for the same reason, despite it being a code violation.

Edited by IanR (10/01/08 03:58 AM)
Edit Reason: I kant shpel dat wel

#181305 - 10/02/08 01:30 AM Re: When there's no room for a double adaptor. [Re: aussie240]
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
When I first went out on Faults calls with the local Power Board, there was a very similar thing happened that caused a few problems.
Young fella in the house had rigged up some lights in his aquarium.
Long story short, every time the water pump gave out (it was under-sized for the tank size), it would meet the 230V lamp wires that had been paralleled up with his computer supply and would blow the circuit breaker, no earth either.
2 flexes into a lamp-holder, indeed.
I told his mother to watch that boy, he'll kill himself.
Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals