The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180959 - 09/17/08 05:34 PM Light Pole Access Panel Repair?
Webmaster Offline

Administrator

Loc: NY, USA
Quote:
Attached are three photos of a light pole in Louisville, KY. As I was walking to work one morning, I noticed that the access panels at the base of a street light were hanging ajar. The wiring was visible and easily accessible to anyone. Since I work for Metro Codes and Regulations, I know enough to not reach in and grab a handful of energized wires, but any curious child passing by could easily be hurt or killed if they touched a hot wire.

I called the utility company to report the pole. I described it, where it was located and the service rep promised that a crew would be out to repair it that day. The pictures are of their repair. At first I thought maybe they had taped it up for a temporary repair, but the electrical tape has been there for six months, so I guess this is what passes for a "repair" for this utility. I must say the tape has held up well, though. These were taken just the other day, after the tape has been exposed to six months of Louisville weather. Is this a suitable ‘repair’?

- Stephen L.

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#180960 - 09/17/08 05:40 PM Re: Light Pole Access Panel Repair? [Re: Webmaster]
EV607797 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA, USA
What a waste of perfectly good tape! Seriously, we see that here all the time, especially in DC where they never seem to have a budget for much of anything except parking enforcement personnel. I must say that what they did in Louisville is about twice of what would have been done in this area.

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."

#181016 - 09/19/08 12:42 AM Re: Light Pole Access Panel Repair? [Re: EV607797]
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Repaired with tape, eh?
Don't these people have enough skills to use a Tek-screw driver in a cordless drill?

That's just slack!

#187169 - 06/15/09 11:46 PM Re: Light Pole Access Panel Repair? [Re: Trumpy]
lukemon2 Offline

Loc: Petal, MS, USA
have they heard of self tappers

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals