ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Is there anything in the code that says I cannot run 2 parallel runs of 2 1/2" conduit overhead between steel beams
over the uninhabited space of a future tenant? This is in a business complex building that has other establishments on one side and empty space (as of now), on the other side. I will be going over the empty space. As of now there are now "firewalls" that I will have to penetrate. I assume though, after the establishment I am figuring this bid on is built, they will have a "firewall" separating them from one side of the "empty space".
It shows running,(2)sets of (4) 3/0's and (1)#3 ground
to a 400 amp main lug panel. Thanks, Steve..

BTW, the outside is asphault, so there no going underground
unless major cutting.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
No problems at all. Indeed, it's a fairly common practice in these "strip" business parks .... especially as the floor plans change over time.

It was a surprise to me as well, but often the wall between separate units is not a rated assembly. You still want to seal penetrations - or airflow between units might cause burglar alarm problems - but I am amazed at the delicacy of the construction.

E
The fire protection aspects required by the building code, may indicate rated partitions, automatic sprinklers, alarm or smoke detection requirements, based on the nature of the occupancy, the size of the "fire area", the size and/or height/number of stories of the building or the type construction (combustible or not).

All that said, any building may or may not have rated fire partitions between tenants. Always check the plans. Tenants in covered malls are always required to be separated by minimum one-hour fire partitions. Strip malls may not have this requirement.

As far as the electrical code is concerned, worring about running wiring through one tenant's space to reach another is not our problem. Easements and right of way privilege is a concern of the lawyers and real estate agents. There may be security concerns of one or another tenant, but usually we can run conduit through the ceiling spaces of other tenants.

I once wired a "safe room" for the USAF where there was a two foot "forbidden zone" on all sides of the room. No wiring of any kind was allowed in this area, and motion detectors, laser eye beams and seismic detectors were mounted in the dead space. High tech for the time.

Earl
E
As an inspector I run into this quite often. May I suggest that you check out 225.31. This has been known to be a very expensive fix if it is caught after the fact.

Regards,

Tony

Link Copied to Clipboard