ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#178610 06/06/08 12:06 PM
B
I have a convenience store remodel (7-Eleven) that will be incorporating a self-serve and full-serve food area. There will be all your typical microwaves, coffee machines, sandwich presses, grills, ect, ect.

Do the receptacles provided for these appliances need to be gfci protected per 210.8(B)(2)?

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
If it has a sink and permanent provisions for food preparation and cooking, then yes.
I believe these lack the sink, yes?

Earl
G
Considering the number of spills that I see at the average convenience store counter, I'd install the GFCI as a matter of course...but your Code reference is correct in requiring a sink per the literal wording.

Ghost307
Cat Servant
BP, I did such a job just a few months back. In case your specs are different, here's what you REALLY need:
I wound up with 11 receptacles on 7 circuits.
You need receptacles maybe a foot below the ceiling (light load) for a possible soda fountain ice maker and sundry "beer signs" that will be hung there. (I should have put more up - I did not allow for the signs).
You need a receptacle under the counter for the soda fountain pump.

As for the GFI's .... While I don't think they're required, I'd use them. There will be all manner of little hoses run by the vendors, the place is frequently cleaned (we hope!), and GFCI's are quite affordable. I'd stick with the 20 amp ones; I've had too many 15 amp ones crap out.

A
The full serve area, operated by employees, with the grill and sandwich press will probaly have a sink required by the health department. That would make that area a kitchen and would require the GFIs.
The self serve area, unless they are vending machines*, (new in the 2005 GFIs for vending machines) would not require GFI protection but it would be recommended.
*don't have my '05 available but I think it is in Chapter 4.
In the kitchen area even those receptacles that are inaccessable, i.e. behind appliances or high on the wall are required to be GFI protected

Last edited by Alan Nadon; 06/08/08 11:00 AM. Reason: additional information

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
J
Originally Posted by Alan Nadon

The self serve area, unless they are vending machines*, (new in the 2005 GFIs for vending machines) would not require GFI protection but it would be recommended.
*don't have my '05 available but I think it is in Chapter 4.

Vending machines are 422.51 in the '08.

A
Thanks John,
This is one section of the Code that makes inspecting crazy. All new vending machines have to have GFI protection built in, lacking that the receptacles need to be GFI. When I do an inspection the machines aren't installed yet, but the location is clearly defined, break room, vending area, etc.
Do they need the GFI receptacles or will the machines have them ? The Code isn't designed for what might be, or even what will be installed. Can a final inspection be withheld until the vending machines are installed ? What if they say the machines won't be installed for a long time ? frown

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.

Link Copied to Clipboard