The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178579 - 06/05/08 03:54 PM I took a pic- And everyone went home!
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
I've placed this thread in the 'discussion' forum, because I expect we'll drift a bit from code issues. Let's try to be nice .... and try to keep the politics to a minimum \:\)

On May 5th, I went to the jobsite ... for me, a simple air conditioner hook-up. Some guys were remodeling an office, and I had to chuckle when I saw their "power center:"

Here's a closer view of the creative effort:

Yup ... you see a 2-gang plastic "Romex" box. A standard molded-plug 'pigtail' supplies power to ordinary duplex receptacles, and a standard plastic coverplate.

I have a few problems with this design.
First of all, a pretty hefty 'triple tap' adapter for a standard cord costs about 1/4 what this contraption costs.

There is no "strain relief" for that cord. That is, yank on the cord, and the force is transmitted to the connections. The little tab in the box does NOT provide reliable strain relief.

We can pretty much assume that dirt, etc., will freely enter the box through those tabs. The plastic boxes are also, especially in winter, pretty easily broken. For that matter, so is that cover plate.

Finally, the GFI has managed to prove itself worthwhile - and affordable.

It's safe to assume that the guy who made this was lacking in education - both electrically, and in other areas as well. Indeed, soon after I took the pics, everyone left "for lunch" ... at 9 AM! It seems someone saw the picture being taken, and fears were expressed regarding a possible raid by 'the authorities.' OOPS \:D

Tools for Electricians:
#178582 - 06/05/08 04:02 PM Re: I took a pic- And everyone went home! [Re: renosteinke]
Theelectrikid Offline

Loc: Levittown, PA
Are you sure thats a cord pigtail to that box? Looks too flat to be a cord, more like UF cable.

Ian A.

#178586 - 06/05/08 06:08 PM Re: I took a pic- And everyone went home! [Re: Theelectrikid]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
At least the box appears to be 'secured'. Looks like UF to me also, perhaps with a cord cap (male) on the end?

Add to the list...no blade guard on the table saw.

#178590 - 06/05/08 06:42 PM Re: I took a pic- And everyone went home! [Re: HotLine1]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
No, it's a standard 6 ft. pigtail with molded plug. These things are usually light gray in color, and have flat cords.

#178598 - 06/06/08 01:35 AM Re: I took a pic- And everyone went home! [Re: renosteinke]
Texas_Ranger Offline

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Reminds me of the typical homebrew power strip in Austria - screw a few flush mount receptacles to a piece of wood (better versions at least take surface mount ones) and provide "strain relief" by driving 1 or 2 staples...

#178635 - 06/07/08 06:24 AM Re: I took a pic- And everyone went home! [Re: Texas_Ranger]
Theelectrikid Offline

Loc: Levittown, PA
Ah OK, thanks for clarifying John. Maybe they went home to grab a few more fearing you'd cut that one up. \:D

Ian A.

#178808 - 06/12/08 01:35 PM Re: I took a pic- And everyone went home! [Re: Theelectrikid]
Zapped Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Who says carpenters can't do electrical work? After all, it's just a couple of wires. You know, "black to black, white to white... The green one is just extra, we won't be using that..."

#179252 - 07/03/08 11:25 AM Re: I took a pic- And everyone went home! [Re: Zapped]
earlydean Offline

Loc: Griswold, CT, USA
I was at a seminar in Miami with Joe Tedesco years ago, when he decided to take some pictures of violations at the gasoline/convenience store nearby at lunch. The seminar resumed, only to be loudly interupted by the owner of the store. He insisted Joe hand over the evidence of whatever it was Joe took pictures of. You should-a seen Joe's face!

#179269 - 07/03/08 06:44 PM Re: I took a pic- And everyone went home! [Re: earlydean]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
Joe liked to call himself the "nail" when he was doing the IAEI road show. Did he nail the guy?

#179272 - 07/03/08 08:09 PM Re: I took a pic- And everyone went home! [Re: Texas_Ranger]
leland Offline

Loc: Lowell area, Ma. USA
 Originally Posted By: Texas_Ranger
Reminds me of the typical homebrew power strip in Austria - screw a few flush mount receptacles to a piece of wood (better versions at least take surface mount ones) and provide "strain relief" by driving 1 or 2 staples...

AHH, So it is Universal. I thought that to be a Regional thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals