Yesterday at 06:46 AM
short circuit??
by Meadow
Yesterday at 06:43 AM
Norwegian power?
by Meadow
Yesterday at 06:36 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 14
sparky 10
sparky66wv 8
gfretwell 8
Potseal 7
Who's Online
2 registered (PoLu, eMeasure), 277 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178431 - 05/30/08 04:32 PM GFCI protecting outlet for a electric fence.
BrandonK Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi guy's-I need to install a 120v. outlet in a well house that will serve to power up a electric fence controller. I know due to its location it should be GFCI protected but was wondering due to the nature of electric fences if I will get alot of nuiscance tripping. I would hate to have the GFCI trip and have the cows jump the fence,they have done it once already. Do you guy's have any experience with a situation like this?

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#178434 - 05/30/08 05:53 PM Re: GFCI protecting outlet for a electric fence. [Re: BrandonK]
sparkyinak Offline

Loc: Alaska
GFCI protection isn't required per your situation

#178436 - 05/30/08 06:57 PM Re: GFCI protecting outlet for a electric fence. [Re: sparkyinak]
George Little Offline

Loc: Michigan USA
Sparky- I would agree with your comment that GFCI protection is not required for Brandon's installation. The code reference would be 210.8(A)(2) Exception 2 to (2) 2005 NEC. I would also add that the electric fence should not trip the GFCI no more than a bug zapper would. If it trips the GFCI there is something wrong with the electric fence equipment.

#178440 - 05/30/08 09:39 PM Re: GFCI protecting outlet for a electric fence. [Re: George Little]
sparkyinak Offline

yes and no. GFCI's have a tendnecy for "neuscience tripping" in a damp enviornment and giving the importance not losing the heard and it is not required per NEC or other applicable code, I personally would not use a GFCI.

#178443 - 05/31/08 04:13 AM Re: GFCI protecting outlet for a electric fence. [Re: sparkyinak]
Tom Offline

Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
I've been running an electric fence from a GFI outlet for about 10 years with no problems, but I use my fence to keep critters out, not valuable livestock in. I'd go with a regular receptacle for your situation.

#178446 - 05/31/08 05:36 AM Re: GFCI protecting outlet for a electric fence. [Re: Tom]
walrus Offline

Loc: Bangor Me. USA
I use a solar powered electric fence \:\) No NEC needed

#178449 - 05/31/08 06:47 AM Re: GFCI protecting outlet for a electric fence. [Re: walrus]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
It does seem like a bit of a contradiction ... shock protection for an appliance that's SUPPOSED to shock you!

In another thread, I question the value of "listing" some products. This is one category where I want a third party, with follow-up inspections, to make absolutely certain that the product works safely.

#178452 - 05/31/08 07:41 AM Re: GFCI protecting outlet for a electric fence. [Re: walrus]
sparkyinak Offline

Originally Posted By: walrus
Let me guess, the cattle was only allowed out during the day light?

#178456 - 05/31/08 08:40 AM Re: GFCI protecting outlet for a electric fence. [Re: sparkyinak]
BrandonK Offline

Loc: Oregon
I was thinking 210.8 A 2 may apply because it is not like it is appliance that would be difficult to unplug and the use the receptacle to run a power tool for maintenence on the building and other things. My gut tells me to install a single receptacle for the fence and give them a GFCI next to it for any possible power needs that should arise in the out building (well pump service calls etc ).
Thanks for the imput !

#178460 - 05/31/08 09:24 AM Re: GFCI protecting outlet for a electric fence. [Re: sparkyinak]
walrus Offline

Loc: Bangor Me. USA
 Originally Posted By: sparkyinak
 Originally Posted By: walrus
Let me guess, the cattle was only allowed out during the day light?

Either that or a battery. Most new solar chargers will go weeks without sunlight and still deliver quite a wallop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals