09/29/16 06:46 AM
short circuit??
by Meadow
09/29/16 06:43 AM
Norwegian power?
by Meadow
09/29/16 06:36 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 12
sparky 10
gfretwell 8
Potseal 7
sparky66wv 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 300 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177839 - 05/13/08 01:31 PM Circuit tracers
wiking Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I bought a circuit tracer from Home Depot years ago and it has served me well. I think it is nearing the end of it's life span and has started to be a little grumpy and difficult.
I think it was a Sperry, which I've always thought of as producing fine products. When I went to HD today to find a replacement, all they had were Ideals and they were $5 more, having risen in price to around $35.
They both have the piece that plugs into a recepticle and only work hot. The Sperry had a dial that you adjusted out until you found the breaker. The Ideal gives you a steady tone and then seems to adjust itself out until you come to the right breaker. I'm having a little trouble getting used to the Ideal.
My question is: do you have a preference between them or is there another one that is superior in your opinion?
I've seen another model which I think is Ideal and it has some added features like GFI testing or some things like that. I'm sure it's more money, but is it much better and worth it?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#177844 - 05/13/08 04:03 PM Re: Circuit tracers [Re: wiking]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
Be happy it lasted as long as it has!

My experience with those toners is that the transmitter is the part that goes bad. While I've tried to interchange transmitters with different receivers, I have not found such a combination that works.

Different makes may work somewhat different, and all require a few uses before you get a good 'feel' for the unit.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals