ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#177693 05/09/08 10:16 PM
J
jkraft Offline OP
Can anyone direct me to an inexpensive coax/video tester. I'm looking to cut into an existing coax in an attic with a splitter and don't know which end will be the feed. Hate to carry a TV up there with me.

TIA,

Joe

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
can you ring it out with a ohm meter?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
A
If possible open up the coax at a connector before the attic & clip the shield and center connector together. Once you are in the attic, you can find determine which end of the cut cable of shorted with a ohm meter.

E
Home Depot sells a relatively inexpensive tone/trace unit for about $50.00 that is made by Ideal. It's not very sophisticated, but is generally intended for just the kind of simple stuff you are looking to do.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
A 1.5V penlite cell and an LED would do the same thing.

C
As a cable technician, I recommend/request the following: DO NOT PUT THE SPLITTER IN THE ATTIC!!!!!!!!!! Run the new line back to the existing splitter, and either use an unused port on that splitter, or add another splitter to the existing one.

Originally Posted by cableguy619
As a cable technician, I recommend/request the following: DO NOT PUT THE SPLITTER IN THE ATTIC!!!!!!!!!! Run the new line back to the existing splitter, and either use an unused port on that splitter, or add another splitter to the existing one.

With my dad being a cable guy, I gotta agree. Run it to the source, don't tap off.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
these are like 15.00

[Linked Image from customtoolsupply.com]

S
I did an analysis of the CATV system in my home when I first got HDTV, and was astonished to discover I was splitting my signal down to about 2% of the original signal at the box. All the splits really add up...

5-way splitter at the drop- 4 ea to 4 TVs in the old house, 5th to another 4-way splitter in the addition. And then that goes to a 2-way splitter to feed the DVR and TV inputs. The DVR then has an internal 2-way splitter for the dual tuners.

20% x 25% x 50% x 50% = 1.25% per tuner in the DVR, both of which had crappy signals and a horrible picture that would constantly break up on several channels and never work at all on a few others. What it DID have, though, was an excellent signal meter! I added a 15dB amp, which increased signal strength, but didn't solve the problem, which was never signal strength (despite the losses), but signal-to-noise ratio- and the noise remained. I troubleshot all the connections and other lines, but the difference was negligible. (Even when disconnected from cable, I was getting a clear picture of several channels on my one TV- there was just that much EMI bouncing around.) The additional grounding point the amp offered is what finally fixed my TV- Grounded the amp, and BAM, every analog TV in the house cleared up considerably, and errors dropped to 0 at the DVR. Problem solved! My analog TV pictures are still quite lousy, though. I blame my neighbors, gotta be their fault, probably using a coat hanger instead of RG6 or something.

So... ah... don't mind the haters, just use a splitter in the attic wink

J
jkraft Offline OP
Originally Posted by dougwells
these are like 15.00

[Linked Image from customtoolsupply.com]

So what is it and where do I get one?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard