by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
1 registered (LongRunner), 221 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176115 - 03/20/08 04:28 PM Generac generator panel problem
sparkync Offline

Loc: NC
I went to check a job where I had installed a Generac generator panel a while back when I changed the service. A car had hit a pole and knocked the power off the neighborhood. The customer said all the power came back on but her receptacle outlets. I went out to check it out and found the generator switch had "welded itself" in the closed position ( could not turn to the off position or to the generator position) but had no power going through it. This was the first time, as far as I know, that they had lost power, and they have never had to use their generator, which is a portable 8000 wt. or so. Anyone ever had this problem with Generac switches before? I told her she probably needs to get in touch with them for warranty replacement. This panel came "free" with the purchase of her generator. I had to bypass the generator panel on this circuit to get her receptacles going again..

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#176116 - 03/20/08 05:26 PM Re: Generac generator panel problem [Re: sparkync]
trekkie76 Offline

Loc: baileyville, maine, usa
When you say generator switch, are you referring to the Transfer switch? is it a automatic or a manual? How long has she had it? Standard Warranty is 2 years from date she mailed in warranty card. I have never put in a manual switch all automatics, but I have had issues with just about every component on a guardian generator from the engine to the stator. Their Quality control has gone down hill the last 3-4 years.

#176119 - 03/20/08 05:42 PM Re: Generac generator panel problem [Re: trekkie76]
Active 1 Offline

Loc: Grayslake IL, USA
Did the contacts weld? I seen in the auto units where the plunger sticks. Maybe a solenoid is staying on not alowing the plunger to move.

Better off not geting involved with it as it's a warrenty repair and your not getting paid to do it.

#176146 - 03/21/08 05:43 PM Re: Generac generator panel problem [Re: Active 1]
sparkync Offline

Loc: NC
It's a manual unit. The switch is welded in the "open" position, but no power going through. I changed the service on the house and this was part of the upgrade she was wanting. The unit should still be under warranty if there is a 2 year on it. It's been about a year probably since I installed it. The unit itself just snaps together. I couldn't get it unsnapped, so I just disconnected it at the main panel and put it on a "normal" circuit. I'm not really getting involved, except as to try to help her if I can, determine what to do. Of course if she does get a replacement, I'll have to go out and replace it for her, so I'll probably have to charge her for it, or do it at a discount???

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals