The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:
   

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

   
Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175970 - 03/16/08 09:44 AM Shocking experience
gfretwell Offline

Member

Registered: 07/20/04
Posts: 9045
Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I had a strange thing today. My wife said she turned off the kitchen light and got shocked. I tried it and got the same thing. This is a Decora set in a stainless back splash. After verifying the bonding of the counter/back splash, GEC system and everything else I could think of I found out the "hot" part was the plastic paddle itself. HUH?

When the switch opens I get a tingle voltage on the white plastic. How can that be? My guess is somebody sprayed it with some conductive liquid but I am replacing the switch.
This is down stream of a functioning GFCI so it is a low current fault. It is still enough to get your attention.

Anyone seen anything like this?
_________________________
Greg Fretwell

Top
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#175971 - 03/16/08 01:36 PM Re: Shocking experience [Re: gfretwell]
leland Offline
Member

Registered: 08/20/07
Posts: 856
Loc: Lowell area, Ma. USA
 Originally Posted By: gfretwell
I had a strange thing today. My wife said she turned off the kitchen light and got shocked. .

Anyone seen anything like this?


This happend to me a few years ago, only different. My wife was shocked I actualy completed the lighting project!!!!:)

Seriously: Most likely a faulty switch, carrying thru the metal trim (frame) of the switch.
I would be more concerned with the GFI rec.Triple check all your bonding/GEC. Somthings amiss.

Not to go off topic but this is a good example of the ALL GFCI in commercial kitchens.

Top
#175974 - 03/16/08 03:45 PM Re: Shocking experience [Re: leland]
twh Offline
Member

Registered: 03/11/04
Posts: 898
Loc: Regina, Sask.
I've seen that sort of problem, in a different setting though.

It may have been the cleaner used on the back splash, or something that was on the back splash and was washed into the switch by the cleaner.

Grain dust is really conductive and will blow fuses when it gets on a circuit board. Have you been baking bread or making muffins?

Top
#176063 - 03/19/08 04:13 AM Re: Shocking experience [Re: twh]
SteveFehr Offline
Member

Registered: 03/19/05
Posts: 1192
Loc: Chesapeake, VA
I was shocked thrice from a cheaply made delta 10" table saw. I couldn't figure it out- the shell was plastic, the switch was plastic, even the protective enclosure over the wiring was plastic. I was stumped! ...until I took it apart, that is. And discovered the screw holding the switch to the saw had somehow been driven straight through the black wire, piercing it but not breaking it, and I was inadvertantly brushing it as I flipped the switch. Delta sent me a new cord, but seemed otherwise unworried that a customer had recieved multiple shocks due to a manufacturing defect.

Top
#176069 - 03/19/08 08:07 AM Re: Shocking experience [Re: SteveFehr]
gfretwell Offline

Member

Registered: 07/20/04
Posts: 9045
Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I broke the Decora switch apart and I am still baffled. The metal parts are nowhere near the plastic paddle but that is definitely where the shock was coming from.
I am still stuck with the idea that someone sprayed a conductive liquid on the switch. I guess that's why they call it a backSPLASH.
_________________________
Greg Fretwell

Top
#176126 - 03/20/08 10:33 PM Re: Shocking experience [Re: gfretwell]
SP4RX Offline
Member

Registered: 10/01/07
Posts: 56
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada...eh
...Or we could all be missing the most logical possibility. Maybe the laws of physics are changing, perhaps due to some cosmic alignment and plastics are becoming conductive? Beware your hair dryers and electric razors!


Shawn.

Top
#176127 - 03/21/08 12:50 AM Re: Shocking experience [Re: SP4RX]
macmikeman Offline
Member

Registered: 07/16/02
Posts: 718
Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
 Originally Posted By: SP4RX
...Or we could all be missing the most logical possibility. Maybe the laws of physics are changing, perhaps due to some cosmic alignment and plastics are becoming conductive? Beware your hair dryers and electric razors!
Shawn.


It's a Chinese Goverment Plot- add uranium 235 to the plastic mold when producing decora switches to be sold to the Yankee devils. Uranium, being metallic will conduct and therefore not only shock us devils into submission, but give us radiation poisoning while doing so \:\) I'd get the Geiger counter out and test that switch......


Edited by macmikeman (03/21/08 12:51 AM)

Top



ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals