ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 250 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#17573 11/29/02 06:52 PM
M
can someone please check this math...
http://www.nettektsp.com/visio/turoci%20office%2014_files/turoci%20office%2014_frames.htm

i believe the only 3 fixtures would be required, right?

should i use 3 or 4?

will this drawing provide adequit light for the office?

any suggestions?

thanks

J
If this is a drop ceiling I would probably go with 4 three bulb T-8 troffers. These are more efficent than the old T-12 bulbs while providing the same amount of light. There is also a T-8 troffer on the market where one bulb will light when the power is down as an alternative to the wall pack emergency lights.

[This message has been edited by JuddsAirco (edited 11-29-2002).]

The lesson is in the struggle, not the victory.
M
thanks for the help, these fixtures are lithoania 4 bulb t-8 troffers.

C
Where are you getting the 3VA/SQ FT. from?

Curt

Curt Swartz
M
2002 Ugly's

C
The NEC requires a minimum of 3.5VA/SQ.FT. for lighting load calculations but this has nothing to do with the number of fixtures required to illuminate an office space. The manufacture of the fixture or lighting designer can tell you how many fixtures will be needed to provide the desired lighting level. In California you are only allowed a maximum of 1.6 watts/SQ.FT. for office space so you would only be permitted to use two 4-lamp fixtures.

Curt

Curt Swartz
J
VA's are for load calculations. Foot candles is how you measure the amount of lighting you provide or require. The NEC will address your lighting load for your service calculations, but doesn't dictate a specific amount of lighting for a particular space. Each type of occupancy differs somewhat. The requirements from the California code of 1.6 watts seems adequate for most offices.

Lighting the way
I'd use the 1.6 watts per square foot method.

Broom Pusher and
I can't access the site!!! Keep getting 404 error [Bad Request]!!!

Scott s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
F
The preferred solution to this:

All this room needs is one Direct/Indirect 8Ft Fixture. You could use T8 or T5.. your choice. ( 4lamps - 2 Ballasts)

T8 will give you .83 Watts/sqft - T5 will come in at 0.94 watts per sqft.

Make sure that the fixture being used has the right optics to cover the area. Most of these types will.

Regardless of any Energy Codes, this will produce a very well lit office. Tell your client to put a Task Light ( Table Lamp or Under Counter Light) where needed.
Btw.: These are excluded from the Lighting calculations because they are plugged in.

The Price for such a Fixture is about the same as 4 good Lay-in Parabolics but the indirect ones will pay for themselfes in no time flat if you consider the energy savings.

Fred

Link Copied to Clipboard