ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
james Offline OP
I've just moved to Georgia from Michigan and am looking to get my state license and am not quite sure of the process or my approach. I'd like to do just residential work. I have a degree in Electricial Engineering and have remodeled several homes and done my own electricial work for years. I'm quite comfortable with the theroy and how to's but would need to focus on learning more of the code in order to pass the test.
I see a lot of courses and books around but not sure if the just focus on residential or not.
Any advice would help.
Thanks.

Broom Pusher and
James,

Along with the NEC testing, try finding full time work with a "Good" Electrical Contractor.
"Good" one would be a Company / Person which will hire you as a Helper, give you hands-on training, and answer ALL your questions per the trade in a "Positive" way.

Per your EE skills;
What field of Elect. Engineering are you familiar with?
Have you any experience in Power Systems Electrical Design / Engineering?
Do you have BSEE or MSEE?

You have found a great site here at ECN to help "Evolve" in the trade.
Members here can assist with the 1,024,000 questions which will arise over time - from the basic stuff, through NEC, to Power Systems details and designs.
Also, check out the Technical Reference area for Schematic drawings and formulas.

Scott s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
E
I'm a Georgia Electrical Contractor. Georgia has 2 licenses, class 1 and class 2. Class 1 is restricted to systems under 200 amps, class 2 is unresticted. I've taken and passed both tests and can tell you they are almost the same with the exception of more 3 phase on the class 2 test.
In Georgia you are required to provide proof of 4 years experience working for a licensed contractor. They will give you some credit for the EE degree, but you still need supervised, hands on experience. Go to this web site for all the info - http://www.sos.state.ga.us/default800.asp

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 11-26-2002).]

M
mj Offline
james, try sbcci
, thier tests are accepted in most southern states.

G
Scott,
Would you please post the URL for the Technical Reference area?
Thank you!
Gregory

Broom Pusher and

Scott,
Would you please post the URL for the Technical Reference area?
Thank you!
Gregory

No problem at all!!!

Best to send you to the Menu for Technical Reference Area , which from there you may choose certain items from the list.
The Menu has links to drawings, text documents, schematics, formulas, images and other stuff posted in the Technical Reference area.

The Menu makes searching a little easier, plus the "Latest And Greatest" posted items get listed in the Menu.

The Tech Ref. Menu - located at: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000064.html,
along with the entire Technical Reference area, can also be accessed directly from the ECN Forums Main Listing Page .
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/Forum

Down at the bottom of the list is the "Technical Discussions" part, which includes the "Technical Reference Area" - along with the "Electrical Theory And Applications Area", and the "Re: Computers and the Internet Area".

Let me know what you think of these areas.

Scott s.e.t.

BTW, set the "Read Topics" drop down box for "Read All Posted Topics", in order to see all the items we have in these three forum areas.
This can be done as a "Per Session" thing using the drop-down box at the upper right section of a forum's page.

Also, you can tweek user settings in the "Preferences", to read topics posted from either last day, upto past year - or set to view all posts.

s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard