by Vlado
09/24/16 09:33 AM
breaker meltdown
by crselectric
09/24/16 12:42 AM
Electrical mast flashing product
by ThomasWinfrey
09/22/16 12:14 AM
What estimating software do you recommend?
by sparky
09/21/16 07:20 PM
"Dry Run" Inspection goes awry
by HotLine1
09/20/16 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm² flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 15
sparky 9
gfretwell 8
sparky66wv 8
Vlado 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 264 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171962 - 12/09/07 02:40 PM Another Vodoo box ?
HEI_Inc Offline

Loc: Joliet, IL
While browing thru the brochure for the ElectricWest show I came across an advertisement for a product names an Energy Bank Unit manufactured by DMI Manufacturing, Inc. It guarantees to reduce your electric bill by 11-30%.

How it works: The EBU removes irregularities from the electricity supplied by the power grid. It stores energy internally until needed by any electrical device - a light, television, computer, motor, refrigerator, etc. Power factor correction to 0.99. 18-36 month payback

Any opinions ? Would this be more suited for businesses that utilize large motors ? Or is it another vodoo box ?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#171964 - 12/09/07 03:32 PM Re: Another Vodoo box ? [Re: HEI_Inc]
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
http://www.ebunit.com/

I'd sure hate to be answering all the electrical contractors' questions about this Snake Oil Voodoo Box at that show.

#171967 - 12/09/07 03:49 PM Re: Another Vodoo box ? [Re: electure]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
Alas, save for one exception (not relevant here), EVERY 'energy savings' product I've ever seen has been far, far less effective than the 'simple math' promised by the sales propaganda. The promise to save a dollar usually turns out to be a nickel- or less \:\(

The first issue is that there has to be a problem, before you can 'fix' it. Very few electricians have either the expertise, or equipment, to quantify power supply issues.

Next is the matter of having a true, 'double blind' test. Trust me on this: if a firm spends big bucks to 'save energy,' the message will get out, and peoples' behavior will change. We have no way of telling if the savings are the result of the magic box, or the changes in behavior.

Finally .... despite all the very real "Cindarella success stories" we hear .... the Apples, the Polaroids, the Lears .... you can be sure that the major manufacturers are not paying their acres of design folks to sit around, debating what shade of gray to use on their switchgear! That the GE's, the Eatons, the Schneiders all manage to consistently overlook such a promising product ought to be a major 'red flag.'

#171972 - 12/09/07 05:24 PM Re: Another Vodoo box ? [Re: renosteinke]
resqcapt19 Offline

Loc: IL
Take a look at this one.
 Quote:
he Power Optimizerâ„¢ works to reduce heat and electrical vibration by stabilizing the current and training the electrons to flow more efficiently. The result is a lengthening of the electric wave and a narrowing of the flow along the center path of the conductor. A more efficient current meeting less resistance along the path of the conductor gets more of the purchased power directly to the workload.

#171974 - 12/09/07 05:41 PM Re: Another Vodoo box ? [Re: resqcapt19]
wire_twister Offline

Loc: Georgia USA
Don,
you have never seen trained electrons?? I have the ones in my house trained, if anyone touches them they are trained to bite. HA HA Seriously if it sounds too good to be true it usualy is.

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid

#171981 - 12/10/07 02:39 AM Re: Another Vodoo box ? [Re: wire_twister]
Texas_Ranger Offline

Loc: Vienna, Austria
 Quote:
The result is a lengthening of the electric wave
*lol* mathematically that means you decrease the frequency... good idea! ;\)
So far all of these miracle boxes either contained PFC capacitors (useless in a household with kWh meter, only good in an industrial setup with kvarh metering, or plain snake oil.

#171982 - 12/10/07 03:12 AM Re: Another Vodoo box ? [Re: resqcapt19]
Roger Offline

Loc: N.C.
 Originally Posted By: resqcapt19
 Quote:
The result is a lengthening of the electric wave and a narrowing of the flow along the center path of the conductor.

Wouldn't lengthening a sine wave turn it into an oval? \:\)

Roger

#171987 - 12/10/07 08:02 AM Re: Another Vodoo box ? [Re: Roger]
sparkyinak Offline

Loc: Alaska
My favorite "voo-doo box" is the long lasting light bulb

#172036 - 12/11/07 10:03 AM Re: Another Vodoo box ? [Re: sparkyinak]
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
Yep, I see the Energy Bank Unit goes for power factor correction as well, but is still aimed at domestic use as well as commercial.

Is there anywhere in the world that actually penalizes residential users for low power factor? I've never heard of it.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals