The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:
   

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

   
Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Today at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
2 registered (Radar, LongRunner), 224 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171646 - 12/02/07 10:34 AM Child Electrocuted In Bathtub
InspectorE Offline
Member

Registered: 10/08/04
Posts: 51
Loc: Hudson WI USA
This is from the Saint Paul Pioneer Press for December 1. A young life was extinguished due to the lack of a $10 GFI.

======================================================
The death of a 6-year-old Hudson girl in a bathtub offers a sad lesson about the dangers of using electrical appliances near water, officials say.

Chelsea Joe "Princess" Helland was found with a hair dryer in the water-filled tub, and a medical examiner's report shows a high probability she died from electrocution, said interim Police Chief Eric Atkinson.

Emergency personnel responded to the apartment complex about 7 p.m. Sunday.

According to police, the mother told officers the girl and her 2-year-old sister were in the tub when the mother briefly left the room. When she saw the toddler was out, she went to check on the other girl and found her unresponsive in the bathtub with the hair dryer.

The mother, her boyfriend, paramedics and police officers tried to revive the girl, but she was pronounced dead at Hudson Hospital.

Atkinson said he thinks a ground fault circuit interrupter installed in the outlet or contained in the dryer would have prevented the tragedy.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, a GFCI in a home wiring system constantly monitors the flow of electricity and instantly switches off power if there is any loss of current. That can prevent a person from getting a lethal jolt.

"I believe that if there would have been a GFCI outlet or mini-GFCI in the hair dryer, we wouldn't be where we are today," Atkinson said.

The girl's funeral was Friday in White Bear Lake.


===================================================

Top
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#171655 - 12/02/07 05:23 PM Re: Child Electrocuted In Bathtub [Re: InspectorE]
resqcapt19 Offline
Member

Registered: 11/10/00
Posts: 2209
Loc: IL
If the tub has no metallic connection to anything, a GFCI may not prevent this type of tragedy. Some hair dryers have Immersion-detector circuit interrupters (IDCIs) which can prevent this type of accident.
_________________________
Don(resqcapt19)

Top
#171656 - 12/02/07 05:43 PM Re: Child Electrocuted In Bathtub [Re: resqcapt19]
leland Offline
Member

Registered: 08/20/07
Posts: 856
Loc: Lowell area, Ma. USA
A very sad tragic event surely. What could one do to prevent it?
Was this a rental? Trivial I know ,after a loss such as this.
Are the authorities to inspect rentals before each change of hands? Annual house inspections? Make all safety changes,AS important as GFCI retroactive?
I have not the answer,But thought Ideas may be out there.

Top
#171657 - 12/02/07 05:44 PM Re: Child Electrocuted In Bathtub [Re: resqcapt19]
Retired_Helper Offline
Member

Registered: 03/13/07
Posts: 167
Loc: Maine
 Originally Posted By: resqcapt19
... Some hair dryers have Immersion-detector circuit interrupters (IDCIs) which can prevent this type of accident.

I was going to say, whatever happened to IDCI's? There was a lot of talk about them at one point. Now I never hear about them. Am I just out of touch (which is entirely possible)?

Top
#171658 - 12/02/07 05:47 PM Re: Child Electrocuted In Bathtub [Re: resqcapt19]
gfretwell Offline

Member

Registered: 07/20/04
Posts: 9045
Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
Have you ever seen Joe Tedesco's videos of hotel hair dryers motor boating around in the sink. It is clear immersion detectors don't always work.

It is also clear he gets bored on the road ;\)
_________________________
Greg Fretwell

Top
#171659 - 12/02/07 05:50 PM Re: Child Electrocuted In Bathtub [Re: gfretwell]
frenchelectrican Offline

Member

Registered: 02/06/03
Posts: 938
Loc: Wi/ Paris France { France for ...
Dang Greg ya beat me i was just about ready to reply that comment related to Joe Tedesco testing the hair dryer i think he did took a veido of it.


i am not sure if he left a link somewhere in this forum or other forum iam not sure excat location is.

Merci , Marc
_________________________
Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)


Top
#171669 - 12/02/07 07:47 PM Re: Child Electrocuted In Bathtub [Re: frenchelectrican]
resqcapt19 Offline
Member

Registered: 11/10/00
Posts: 2209
Loc: IL
Greg,
 Quote:
It is clear immersion detectors don't always work.

Not really...the device is in the handle and it was not under water.
Don
_________________________
Don(resqcapt19)

Top
#171671 - 12/02/07 08:23 PM Re: Child Electrocuted In Bathtub [Re: resqcapt19]
SP4RX Offline
Member

Registered: 10/01/07
Posts: 56
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada...eh
I'm torn on this one. I really want to rip into the manufacturer for installing a safety device that requires a specific circumstance for the so-called immersion detector to work, i.e. the handle must be in the water for the device to work. On the other hand I realize that we can't protect everyone, everywhere from everything that could possibly go wrong.

One would think that an electric device that is labeled as having a certain protective mechanism could be relied upon to protect you in your time of need.

It's a tragedy what happened to this girl and her family and I can only hope that manufacturers have another look at how these immersion detectors are designed and installed.


Shawn.

Top
#171675 - 12/02/07 10:32 PM Re: Child Electrocuted In Bathtub [Re: SP4RX]
gfretwell Offline

Member

Registered: 07/20/04
Posts: 9045
Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
Don, the ones I have taken apart have a metal ring in the nozzle that connects to the 3d wire in the cord that hits the immersion detector.
_________________________
Greg Fretwell

Top
#171680 - 12/03/07 04:27 AM Re: Child Electrocuted In Bathtub [Re: gfretwell]
resqcapt19 Offline
Member

Registered: 11/10/00
Posts: 2209
Loc: IL
Greg,
I guess there are different designs. Another issue is that immersion detectors are not required. The manufacturer can use GFCIs or appliance leakage circuit interrupters. The only one that will provide protection when there is no grounding path in the water in the immersion detector.
Don
_________________________
Don(resqcapt19)

Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >



ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals