The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:
   

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

   
Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
1 registered (LongRunner), 212 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171632 - 12/02/07 07:47 AM Firefighters shocked
WESTUPLACE Offline
Member

Registered: 03/29/04
Posts: 252
Loc: Kingwood, TX USA
The power to the house was cut, the firefighters got tangled in AC duct that had fallen. POCO said a poor ground caused stray currents to shock the firefighters.
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=5808452

Top
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#171633 - 12/02/07 07:59 AM Re: Firefighters shocked [Re: WESTUPLACE]
leland Offline
Member

Registered: 08/20/07
Posts: 856
Loc: Lowell area, Ma. USA
Lucky indeed. Notice the misconception.. "only about 100 volts". I would think that their turnout gear is the only reason for their luck.

Top
#171635 - 12/02/07 08:16 AM Re: Firefighters shocked [Re: leland]
Alan Nadon Offline
Member

Registered: 03/10/05
Posts: 398
Loc: Elkhart, IN. USA
With the breakers off there was either a service disconnect somewhere that wasn't shut off or the service entrance conductors were run inside the house without protection.
There is nothing colder than a house fire in the winter. Even in Texas.
_________________________
Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.

Top
#171636 - 12/02/07 08:20 AM Re: Firefighters shocked [Re: leland]
JValdes Offline
Member

Registered: 06/03/07
Posts: 308
Loc: South Carolina
This is probably a dumb question? But where and how could stray current be present. I would assume that if all the power was cut, how could there be any voltage anywhere other than static charge.
Does it have something to do with the neutral not being switched off?......Thanks John

Top
#171638 - 12/02/07 08:41 AM Re: Firefighters shocked [Re: JValdes]
gfretwell Offline

Member

Registered: 07/20/04
Posts: 9045
Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I stopped the flash and looked at the 3R panel under the meter (which was pulled) I suppose they may not have got all the breakers off or one may have hung "closed" but if the power was still there after the meter was pulled I would be up in that attic looking for some bootleg wiring in front of the meter. I did hear a story once of people tapping the SE through a hole in the pipe where it dissappears in the soffit. They pull out a little loop and clamp on a Kupletap.
_________________________
Greg Fretwell

Top
#171640 - 12/02/07 08:46 AM Re: Firefighters shocked [Re: gfretwell]
jdevlin Offline
Member

Registered: 08/07/02
Posts: 402
Loc: welland ontario canada
If a neighbour has an open neutral there could have been current on the ground/neutral. Ask plumbers why many of them carry jumper cables for when working on service laterals.

Top
#171645 - 12/02/07 10:20 AM Re: Firefighters shocked [Re: jdevlin]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant
Member

Registered: 01/22/05
Posts: 5305
Loc: Blue Collar Country
I also smell a rat.

I could not see the actual service drop, but I am also inclined to think "power theft" ... especially with the cost of running air conditioners in Texas!

The rest of the news report is but testimony to the absolute ignorance of the 'talking heads.' Ground wire? Stray voltage? I think not.

The report was also silent as to the cause of the fire. Cooking fire? Cigarette in the couch? Meth lab? Maybe - imagine this - trouble with the bootleg wiring to the HVAC?

Top
#171691 - 12/03/07 08:28 AM Re: Firefighters shocked [Re: renosteinke]
EV607797 Offline
Member

Registered: 10/25/06
Posts: 756
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA, USA
This reminds me of the episode of "Holmes on Homes" where a renter had turned a house into a marijuana grow house. To hide the electric consumption, they knocked a hole in the basement wall to expose the underground service lateral and tapped into it there for their power. Talk about gutsy.
_________________________
---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."

Top
#171744 - 12/04/07 01:40 PM Re: Firefighters shocked [Re: Alan Nadon]
mxslick Offline
Member

Registered: 10/24/04
Posts: 785
Loc: Atomic City, ID USA
Bold in folowing quote added by me:

 Originally Posted By: Alan Nadon
With the breakers off there was either a service disconnect somewhere that wasn't shut off or the service entrance conductors were run inside the house without protection.
There is nothing colder than a house fire in the winter. Even in Texas.


That would be my vote for the best explanation of what happened to cause the firefighter's to get shocked.

Another possibility: If the overhead drop was directly above the roof, and either sagged or fell onto the HVAC unit, that could energize the ductwork.

Reno said:

 Quote:
<snip> The rest of the news report is but testimony to the absolute ignorance of the 'talking heads.' Ground wire? Stray voltage? I think not. <snip>


Absolutely. Here in earthquake country, we have a lot of expulsion fuses that blow from the lines swaying into each other, etc. and the news reports always claim there were "transformer explosions." If they were right the POCO's here would go bankrupt replacing all those "transformers" after each earthquake. \:\)

Most of those dolts wouldn't know what a transformer was even if it hit them on the head. \:\)
_________________________
Stupid should be painful.

Top
#171760 - 12/04/07 06:42 PM Re: Firefighters shocked [Re: mxslick]
leland Offline
Member

Registered: 08/20/07
Posts: 856
Loc: Lowell area, Ma. USA
Perhaps the meter was pulled after the story, and a failed breaker was to blame. Or any of the above.

Top



ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals