by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
1 registered (LongRunner), 221 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170848 - 11/13/07 04:45 PM Christmas decorations
Surfinsparky Offline

Loc: merritt island fl usa
Well it looks like I have quite a few jobs this year for Christmas decorations.Just curious what some of you may have wired.One job I have this year is erect and power a 50' artificial tree.The total connected load is about 50 amps @ 120 volt.The customer has a 3 phase 5 wire circuit available to use.So I was thinking of using that and a contactor to provide on-off switching for tree lighting ceremony.The question is do I need a gfci.Well who am I kidding of course I need a gfci.Is there a way to wire the gfci to just trip the coil circuit.Anybody got any ideas??

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#170879 - 11/13/07 07:52 PM Re: Christmas decorations [Re: Surfinsparky]
SP4RX Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada...eh
All that I can think of would be to place a gfci in each of your three phase conductors with your lights as a load fed from the gfci. You could then use a cord from each gfci plug to power a relay with n.o. contacts in your main control wiring. This would give you 3 gfci plugs, each with it's own n.o. contact (in series) in the control wiring. A ground fault in any phase would kill the contactor power supply and disconnect all phases.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for though, I don't know why you would want all lights to go out because of a problem in one phase.

Shawn.

#170902 - 11/14/07 01:20 PM Re: Christmas decorations [Re: SP4RX]
classicsat Offline

I have heard of flat face GFCIs that have a ring in the back to put your own wire through. I don't know how they would work with 3 phase.

#170911 - 11/14/07 05:08 PM Re: Christmas decorations [Re: classicsat]
Retired_Helper Offline

Loc: Maine
Leviton used to make one like that. I don't know if they still do. I believe it was intended for high amperage, not sure if it could handle 3-phase. The ring was to accomodate a larger transformer than the one used in the 15A and 20A versions.

Edited by Retired_Helper (11/14/07 05:10 PM)
Edit Reason: Transformer note.

#170912 - 11/14/07 05:19 PM Re: Christmas decorations [Re: Retired_Helper]
WESTUPLACE Offline

Loc: Kingwood, TX USA
I would think it would be better to have a 3 pole contactor to control the on/off and then several GFCI outlets or breakers serving the tree. A single GFCI contolling the whole tree could lead to some time consuming trouble-shooting in event one of the strings of lights develop a ground fault. A few strings on each GFCI would not blackout the whole tree in the event of a ground fault. Robert

#170913 - 11/14/07 05:30 PM Re: Christmas decorations [Re: WESTUPLACE]
Surfinsparky Offline

Loc: merritt island fl usa
I think I was making it more difficult than it needed to be.So what plan to do is use a 3 pole contactor.Feed it with a 3 pole 20 amp breaker.Than use gfci adapters on the load side of the contactor.Now I got another job to wire about 150 amps worth of additional decorations.I guess a generator a several miles of extension cord will needed for this one.Temporary wiring provisions would apply.90 days is legal right.

#170914 - 11/14/07 06:11 PM Re: Christmas decorations [Re: classicsat]
TOOL_5150 Offline

Loc: Bay Area
You need something like the Leviton 6895-B It has a coil in the back that you put your wire[s] through. Not sure if it will work on 3phase though.

~Matt

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals