ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#170168 10/29/07 02:00 AM
G
If this is too far off topic shoot me or route me (to the right place)
My wife and I are planning on visting UK next summer, starting in Glasgow and wherever we can go from there. What can our UK folks tell me about the area and things we should not miss?
I already warned her, if I ask here I will probably end up looking at transformers and generating stations wink
We are not much on "get on the tour bus and we are going to the museum" kinda folks. We tend to walk around a lot and just visit.

Greg Fretwell
Z
I spent a couple months over in the UK in the early 90s, and the best advise I can give you is to get a British Rail gold pass. If I recall correctly, it's good on all the trains and even metro lines in most big cities.

My favorite spots were Edinbrough (especially the royal mile), Loch Ness (which is actually Inverness, Scotland), and anywhere in London.

Scotland is more of a casual atmosphere, whereas in London, certain places will or will not let you in based on your clothes(!?).

Avoid tour busses. Very boring, and you might as well sit in your hotel room and look at post cards.

If you like beer, like I do, hit as many pubs as possible and absorb the local color. You will meet some very nice and fun people.

Wherever you decide to go, have fun and good luck!

G
I like beer but I am afraid my wife won't like the brit version. She is a Mich Ultra person and wants it cold.
Fortunately we both like scotch.

Greg Fretwell
Z
Hit the shops on the royal mile in Edinbrough for aged single malt scotch! You won't be sorry (except maybe the next morning :))

Actually, you can get cold beer there in most pubs, and it's better than the reputation would have you believe.

Have fun Greg! There's nothing like seeing the world...

G
We have pretty well looked over the Americas, mostly in the wilderness areas so UK will be a bit of a culture shock for us. I understand there are places in Scotland where you can get away from it all but nothing like hiking in the Kachemak Bay State park Alaska where they drop you off from a boat and there may not be another soul for miles.

Last edited by gfretwell; 10/29/07 02:51 PM.

Greg Fretwell
G
Well we have plenty of beautiful wild countryside/mountain areas, especially in Scotland, but also in England. Then again they are not going to be that much different to your mountain areas.
What are you aiming to see ? Ancient monuments, Roman remains such as forts, Hadrians wall, (used to keep the Scots away from the English), religious buildings such as cathedrals? More modern industrial archeology, such as canals, railways, etc.?
Be assured you can fill your time.
Of course you will get further advice from ECN, but there is lots of stuff on our internet tourist sites(.uk)
The railways are a good way to get between cities, but if you want to get out into the countryside and smaller towns I would recommend you invest in a hire car.

G
Thanks Geoff
That is the kind of things we were thinking about. I definately want to see Hadrians wall. It is not often that somebody made the Romans say "this is far enough" wink

We were thinking about a "hire car". I guess I will practice driving on "the wrong side of the road" this winter. It is tourist season so they might not notice.

Greg Fretwell
G
When I went a few years ago, I figured that hiring a car would be dangerous to the locals...I'd keep forgetting about the left-handed roads and end up running someone down.
We settled on motorcoaches from town to town and got to look at the scenery instead of worrying about the traffic rules.

Note: For traveling between cities they're called "coaches", in town are "busses". The coach drivers get a bit miffed if you call them 'bus drivers'.

If you do decide to hire a car; arrange it here before you leave. You will get a much better price than if you try to get one after you arrive. Also make sure that your USA driver's license will be honored for driving in the UK.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Ghost307
G
Maybe I should put an American Flag on the front bumper so they will know I might turn the wrong way. wink

I am getting a package from the AAA that should help me with the legal stuff

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
I once visited Ol' Blimey, and let me say, I ran into a real allegator. 'E was always making the most absurd allegations ... twas enough to make one cross.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard