Yesterday at 06:46 AM
short circuit??
by Meadow
Yesterday at 06:43 AM
Norwegian power?
by Meadow
Yesterday at 06:36 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 14
sparky 10
gfretwell 8
sparky66wv 8
Potseal 7
Who's Online
1 registered (andey), 264 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170023 - 10/24/07 10:02 AM Vegetation as mounting means??
sparkync Offline

Loc: NC
I see in the code that you're not suppose to use vegetation such as a tree for securing overhead spans, but does it say anywhere that you cannot use them for mounting means, such as a flood light? I didn't think you could, but don't know the code reference. I would be coming up from the bottom of the tree for the feed. And if not for 120 volts, how about low voltage wiring?? Thanks... Steve

Edited by sparkync (10/24/07 10:04 AM)

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#170024 - 10/24/07 10:19 AM Re: Vegetation as mounting means?? [Re: sparkync]
Yoopersup Offline

Loc: Michigan
2005 N.E.C. 410.16 (H)

#170026 - 10/24/07 10:37 AM Re: Vegetation as mounting means?? [Re: Yoopersup]
sparkync Offline

Loc: NC
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought I had read it but couldn't remenber where it was. I'm assuming this is including low voltage lighting also, even though they make the low voltage lighting for tree application and in their spec's show mounting them in trees or is there another reference for this. I didn't see any exceptions. Thanks again. Steve

#170032 - 10/24/07 02:53 PM Re: Vegetation as mounting means?? [Re: sparkync]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Steve:
Basoically, you can install a fixture on a tree, or other live vegatation. You CANNOT support wiring from 'tree to tree' or structure to tree.

Common practice for landscape lighting is to mount fixtures in the tree with the circuit coming up from the ground. PVC conduit with listed straps. Long term maintenance will be required as the tree grows.

Reference is 410.16 (h)

#170034 - 10/24/07 04:04 PM Re: Vegetation as mounting means?? [Re: HotLine1]
George Little Offline

Loc: Michigan USA
What about my Xmas tree \:\)
Hey aren't utility poles dead trees?
Actually I agree with John.

#170035 - 10/24/07 06:04 PM Re: Vegetation as mounting means?? [Re: George Little]
Theelectrikid Offline

Loc: Levittown, PA
 Originally Posted By: George Little
What about my Xmas tree \:\)
Hey aren't utility poles dead trees?

If that's the case then we have to rewrite the whole code when it comes to stick-frame.

Ian A.

#170048 - 10/24/07 10:57 PM Re: Vegetation as mounting means?? [Re: Theelectrikid]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
Come on George, you know the NEC doesn't apply to holiday decorations. You can run zip cord in an "assembly" occupancy, string lights outside in the snow that wouldn't be safe at 12v but run on 120. This is when they sell 3 packs of cube taps and cheap extension cords by the cartful.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Christmas lights in a hospital room.
If you are ever going to trip a breaker it is usually at Christmas.
What could possibly go wrong with putting a tree in your house that was killed a month and a half ago, hauled half way across the country and stacked in the sun for a few weeks. Then you take it home, pack it with a kilowatt of asian lights with questionable listing marks and ignore it for hours.

Is there anyone here who doesn't have a Christmas fire story a friend of a friend away (or closer)?

#170050 - 10/25/07 04:57 AM Re: Vegetation as mounting means?? [Re: gfretwell]
George Little Offline

Loc: Michigan USA
Yeah Greg, Silly me. Your right, I forgot about the most Holy seasons like Halloween, Thanksgiving, Xmas etc when the code takes a holiday.

I cringe when I make an inspection and see a screw in adaptor in the proch fixture feeding a 3 wire plug strip where the ground prong is not connected to anything and the strip has no less than 6 strings of lights plugged into it.

Silly me. HEY the plug strip has an overcurrent device in it!! Kinda Spooooky at Halloween.

#170059 - 10/25/07 06:56 AM Re: Vegetation as mounting means?? [Re: George Little]
Zapped Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Well, everybody knows that you can hook up as many x-mas light strands as you want in a row. After all, they're just LITTLE bulbs. Besides, you have to have more lights than your neighbor. Don't wann look STUPID!

#170063 - 10/25/07 08:14 AM Re: Vegetation as mounting means?? [Re: Zapped]
SteveFehr Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Didja all see that mythbusters where they kept plugging in christmas lights trying to catch the tree on fire? Apparently, they just wouldn't get hot enough; they'd blow the internal fuses first.

They DID, however, plug in way too many lights in parallel on the thinnest extension cord they could find, just like too many homeowners, and succeeded in lighting the cord up like a torch. Was interesting, to say the least!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals