ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169731 - 10/13/07 05:28 PM Underground Locator
highground Offline
Loc: Chama, NM
I need an underground locator, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
highground
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#169734 - 10/13/07 07:13 PM Re: Underground Locator [Re: highground]
gibbonsseabee80 Offline
Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Take a look at this company. They have every kind of measuring device known to man. I bought a phase rotation meter last week from them. I received the catalog in the mail when I signed up for electrical contractor magazine. They have all sorts of underground locators. A nice link to check out.

http://www.mitchellinstrument.net/
#169762 - 10/15/07 06:07 AM Re: Underground Locator [Re: gibbonsseabee80]
Zapped Offline
Loc: Huntington Beach, CA, USA
What exactly are you locating? The company gibbons listed is a great place to look for a variety of tracers and testing equipment, but I have a little $200 in-ground tracer that has served me pretty well for years and is great for up to 3' deep.

The brand is Tempo and the model is a 508S. I bought mine at a CED, but I've also seen them at Walter's Electric out here in Cali.

Here's a link to an online retailer:

http://www.valuetesters.com/Tempo-508S-Circuit-Tracer-Wire-Finder.php

It's cheap and I wouldn't bet on it for anything that I couldn't double check or verify, but it's great to have around and I'm not terrified at leaving it in my truck 24/7 because it may get stolen (my other tracers and test equipment that cost me more than $1,000 each stay at the shop until I need them). It's nice to have on a moments notice, and it's takes up very little space.

Good Luck!

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 51
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 17
Trumpy 16
Ruben Rocha 13

Newest Members
clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2, sureshazhagai

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals