by Tjia1981
Yesterday at 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
1 registered (Tjia1981), 252 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169184 - 09/28/07 08:41 AM ZINSCO retrofit kit?
Niko Offline

Loc: Campbell, CA
Have any of you used this kit to repalace a ZINSCO interior?
I favor complete replacement of the panel to SQUARE-D, but this retrofit does not sound bad.

What do you think?

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#169186 - 09/28/07 09:15 AM Re: ZINSCO retrofit kit? [Re: Niko]
JValdes Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I think replacing the whole panel would be the best approach. However, If this replacement (guts) are UL approved and have been proven safe, then why not?

I used to be a Square D fanatic. I have one in my own home. Would'nt settle for anything less.
But, I now am open to others such as Cutler Hammer, GE, Gould ect....

Square D panels only accept Square D breakers. And I like to know that I will be more than 90% sure that I have a breaker that will fit, with me in the middle of the night.

Now, I do not know anything about their Homeline panels. I think thats what they are called.

#169191 - 09/28/07 11:59 AM Re: ZINSCO retrofit kit? [Re: JValdes]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
From a theoretical perspective, I really like the idea of just replacing the panel guts and cover- especially when the old panel is recessed and piped in. Yet, I have yet to do it this "easy" way.

Why? Because the cost of the one retrofit kit I priced was at least five times the cost of a new panel.

You would think that someone would make their panels to the same overall dimensions as someone else ... but it appears that a deliberate effort has been made to ensure that today's cover never fits yesterday's panel.

Schneider owns both Sq D and the current version of FPE (in Canada). One would think that Sq D would market interchange kits here, to facilitate replacing FPE panels here, using Sq D products .... but such is not the case.

Heck, I have a damaged GE panel that needs new guts ... and I've yet to find any GE resource that will identify the GE guts I need to get to replace the existing ones!

The panel makers certainly have the information necessary to allow for the replacement of panel interiors, but have mainly chosen to play 'dumb.'

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals