ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I
iwire Offline OP
Just some photos I took that I thought would spark some code debate.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Cat Servant
I remember once seeing similar pics. I believe that technically speaking, that this is allowed.

That doesn't mean I like it. Heck, today I'll be under a firehouse, re-locating the panel feeds .... and I never considered SER as a wiring method. Commercial gets pipe ... and metal flex where necessary. Not romex, SER, smurf, or any other 'easy' way. Why? Who knows! It just seems right.

The pics are a good illustration of the difference between 'code minimum' and 'trade practice.'

I
iwire Offline OP
Originally Posted by renosteinke
I remember once seeing similar pics. I believe that technically speaking, that this is allowed.

It is in MA and was under the NEC until the prohibition against NM above suspended ceilings went into the NEC.

Commercial gets pipe ... and metal flex where necessary. Not romex, SER, smurf, or any other 'easy' way.

Isn't that a question best answered by the person paying for the work?

The pics are a good illustration of the difference between 'code minimum' and 'trade practice.'

Perhaps a better illustration of the different methods used in different areas, this is trade practice in this area.

Pipe is almost never used above ceilings, MC is most common and when allowed NM / SE etc.

It's funny though.....the plumbers in MA can't use plastic in commercial work but I can run NM.

When I work in RI I can't use NM but the plumbers can use plastic.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
P
the difference between 'code minimum' and 'trade practice.'

Or what one might consider to be good practice even if not always common trade practice.

There's no specific ban here on using the British equivalent of NM cable in light commercial applications, although in many places where surface run neatness would dictate the use of plastic trunking.

In many cases though, in my opinion the amount of work involved in cutting and fitting rectangular PVC trunking and then laying NM cables exceeeds that needed to just run PVC conduit and pull singles through it. The conduit gives a much neater result anyway.

See this thread for an example.

Cat Servant
A fair point taken ... defining 'trade practice' is a lot like capturing a moonbeam; you know it's there, but can't quite grab it laugh

As for the customer making the call .... the customer only rarely has any input. He'll call and ask me for a price. I'll give one based upon how I plan to do the job. Only if he specifically asks will the discussion of wiring methods begin.

As I see it, the customer is paying for my judgment, as much as anything else (Scary thought, isn't it? laugh ) Part of my 'professional judgment' in deciding how the job will be done.

I'll admit that my bias is rooted in age and tradition, as much as any 'logical' reason. Heck, when I need to trim a tree, I reach for the axe .... and not one of those new-fangled chainsaws laugh

S
Can you get pictures of the electrical room? I love where all those SER's come out at the top of the wall. Here, they would have to come out individually spaced, or if bundled, in a sleeve, for firestopping. I've got to see this electrical room! Do you think they sleeve it in 1 1/2" PVC? Support it with 2-hole straps screwed down to 2x4's? Big black hvac zip-ties?

The suspense is killing me.

Link Copied to Clipboard