Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Today at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168156 - 08/28/07 07:42 AM Swimming pool low voltage lighting
sparkync Offline

Loc: NC
I may have asked this question before, but has anyone ever seen low voltage lighting that is listed for around swimming pools. If so where could I find them? Thanks, Steve..

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#168163 - 08/28/07 09:22 AM Re: Swimming pool low voltage lighting [Re: sparkync]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
"Around pools" is a subjective thing. If you mean >10' from the pool, just about anything will work but within 5' the only lights I know of are the ones listed for use "in" the water. In the 5-10' zone lights must be GFCI protected and I have not seen a low voltage GFCI protected light. 680.22 does not make any distinctions about low voltage. The usual option I see is fiber if you want deck lighting next to the pool.

#168360 - 09/02/07 08:16 AM Re: Swimming pool low voltage lighting [Re: gfretwell]
harold endean Offline

Loc: Boonton, NJ
Greg,

Fiber optic is the only thing that I have seen to date right around pools. As for the LV lights, I believe that most manufactures state that their lights have to be 10' from the pool. I guess you can use the PV lights closer to the pool. I haven't read their instructions.

#168366 - 09/02/07 09:14 AM Re: Swimming pool low voltage lighting [Re: harold endean]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
Usually people consider those "solar" lights like a flashlight (no restrictions at all). I am not sure if that is an accurate assumption. IMHO 12v is 12v. There may be a little difference between AC and DC but the battery in a solar light still has plenty of current available. If "DC" makes it safe, put a rectifier in the Malibu transformer.

BUT ... I don't think that changes anything.

"Tingle" voltage gradients in a pool are usually just a couple volts.

#168428 - 09/04/07 06:23 AM Re: Swimming pool low voltage lighting [Re: gfretwell]
Zapped Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Most of the solar landscape lighting that I've run across is actually 4.8V-6V (4 rechargeable AA batteries @ 1.2V-1.5V each), but you bring up an interesting question gfretwell: What about DC low voltages near pools? Anybody have an expertise in this area?

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals