ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#168079 08/26/07 08:42 PM
B
BigB Offline OP
Anyone had experience with these? I had resisted the temptation until today when HD was clearing them out for $17.50 for a six pack of them. That's only $2.92 each. I got 144 of them.

I have always used P&S, nice package, nice looking product, but over $10.00 each at the supply house.

Also, the P&S and the Commercial Electric are both made in China.

I
ITO Offline
I have never used them but for that price sounds great. If they are UL listed then use them.

101° Rx = + /_\
Cat Servant
With all the recalls the Chinese face these days, and their open tolerance of counterfeiting ... do you really want to take the chance?

B
BigB Offline OP
Originally Posted by renosteinke
With all the recalls the Chinese face these days, and their open tolerance of counterfeiting ... do you really want to take the chance?

Out of curiosity, what brands are NOT made in China?

R
Leviton is made in Mexico and Canada ( Quebec) I think

A.D

G
The problem is not "China" but counterfeit U/L labels.
I assume H/D is not dumping bogus devices but a quick call to U/L should straighten it out.
I think they even have a hot line for these things.

Greg Fretwell
I use these on a daily basis. I will most likely install one tomarrow. I have not had one fail yet and I have probably installed 10 boxes allready. IMO Leviton is not that great with their lower-end devices either. The receps that come in 10 packs from the orange box usually fail within a year. I would much rather install P&S, Bryant or best yet - Hubbell devices over just about anything you can get from the orange box but it comes down to - it is not my call.

~Matt

I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.
BTW, Hubbell has a 'product notification' on comm GFI devices (July '07) released within the last 10 days that I'm aware of.
Hubbell GFI I have are made in Korea (my surprise too)

John
FYI, Leviton stopped manufacturing in Canada some years ago. Canada never made GFCI's. The GFCI's were first made in the Brooklyn plant, then in the West Kingston, RI, plant, then they moved to Tijuana, Mexico. A plant in Singapore used to produce GFCI's for Leviton, don't know if they still do. Leviton (last I knew) had two plants in mainland China, initially making telcom stuff.

How to recognize Leviton devices under other brand names: look for coding on any packaging (box, instruction sheet, etc) in the following format:

LL-AAA-AAAAA-AAA, where L is always a letter, and A could be a letter or a number.

C
Originally Posted by Retired_Helper
The GFCI's were first made in the Brooklyn plant, then in the West Kingston, RI, plant, then they moved to Tijuana, Mexico.

I always thought that they were made at the Hillsgrove plant in Warwick, RI. Interesting. Last I heard, they have all but stopped manufacturing at Hillsgrove, leaving only the distribution center in operation.

As for the Commercial Electric GFCI's, they did have striking similarities to the Leviton ones, however, I noticed that the plastic near the ground pin hole was very thin so I didn't bother buying any. Good deal, yes, but I am suspicious of stuff without a brand name on a special run from places like HD. I'll stick with the brand names.

Peter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard