ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16625 - 11/13/02 06:43 PM Inspectors
Wirenuttt Offline
Loc: Massachusetts
Do inspectors have to be licensed in the state they inspect for weather it's a city or region?

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 11-13-2002).]
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#16626 - 11/14/02 02:52 PM Re: Inspectors
Tom Offline
Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
Here in the Mountain State- governmental inspector are appointed or hired & it doesn't matter if they can spell electricity. I, on the other hand, doing inspections on my own had to pass 2 nationally recognized tests.

All this is about to change slightly. Our legislature passed a licensing law that will require all electrical inspectors (mine inspectors exempt) to hold a WV Master License and pass any other test as determined by the State Fire Marshal. I can hear some of those city inspectors shaking in their boots. But make no mistake, this is just another tax on the working man.

Tom
#16627 - 11/14/02 03:07 PM Re: Inspectors
nesparky Offline
Loc: omaha,ne
In NE an inspector must hold a journeyman or master/contractor license and pass the IAEI test to be an inspector. All inspectors are govermental employees either state or local city/county. All inspectors have to be acceptable to the state board.
This is getting rid of "uncle Joe" the one man town jack of all trades inspector unless "uncle Joe" is/was a licensed electrician.
#16628 - 11/14/02 05:01 PM Re: Inspectors
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Wirenutt:
Here in NJ Inspectors are state licensed.
Levels are: ICS & HHS, then Electrical Sub-Code, and if you desire Construction Official. Basically ICS is resi & light comm, HHS is everything. "Sub-Code" is like the cheif electrical inspector and Const. Official is the administrator of the "Construction Office" (Administration) We also have a T.A.C.O., who is responsible for running the office. (And a whole lot more)

All of the above positions require stste lic.
To qualify for Inspector, you must be a electrical contractor first. I believe the time is 5 years. Sub-Code is 7 yrs and CO is 10 years.

BTW, the Building, Plumbing, Fire, all have the same basic set-up, and the CO can have a "TECH" licence in any of the disciplines.

John

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals