Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165275 - 06/24/07 05:50 PM GFCI: Not Just For the Bath anymore
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
There's been talk about the next code edition requiring AFCI protection everywhere in homes. In a way, I'm surprised that there was not an earlier move to make established GFCI technology apply throughout the house.

We never know just what a receptacle will power. I suggest that a GFCI might be a good thing for this aquarium:

So here's the question: IF you were on a service call to a house, and saw an aquarium ... would you recommend a GFCI?

Tools for Electricians:
#165276 - 06/24/07 06:05 PM Re: GFCI: Not Just For the Bath anymore [Re: renosteinke]
CTwireman Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
No.

#165278 - 06/24/07 07:44 PM Re: GFCI: Not Just For the Bath anymore [Re: CTwireman]
ShockMe77 Offline

Loc: Rahway, New Jersey
Yes.

#165286 - 06/24/07 11:58 PM Re: GFCI: Not Just For the Bath anymore [Re: ShockMe77]
ComputerWizKid Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Poor Kitty and fish (Hope neither were harmed in that incident) I have cats and fish myself (Just a small 10 Gallon tank) and the top did fall in once(Just cleaned the tank an hour before did not notice the top was on incorrectly so I open to feed them and the whole thing falls in) but I use an inline GFCI Since I live in an apartment and cannot change the wiring. It did trip when my hood fell in the water. So I would recommend any fish owner to have GFCI Protection for at least the light and ever else can fall in the water the easiest and probably the heater also since I have that GFCI Protected also.

#165316 - 06/25/07 10:54 AM Re: GFCI: Not Just For the Bath anymore [Re: ComputerWizKid]
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
So we have a no, a yes, and an 'I seen it work' \:\)

I have to ask this, assuming the cord to the lamps are two wire how would a GFCI help?

#165317 - 06/25/07 11:39 AM Re: GFCI: Not Just For the Bath anymore [Re: iwire]
BElder Offline

Loc: Paradise, CA. U.S.A.
I have been told that the GFCI is activated from a drop of 5 mili amps in the return current in other words part of the current is going to a ground fault not necessarily to the grounding.
Also Iv'e heard talk of all residences requiring AFCI protection being pushed by NFPA

#165319 - 06/25/07 12:22 PM Re: GFCI: Not Just For the Bath anymore [Re: BElder]
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
 Originally Posted By: BElder
I have been told that the GFCI is activated from a drop of 5 mili amps in the return current in other words part of the current is going to a ground fault not necessarily to the grounding.

That is 100% correct.

However what other path for current is available here?

Water in a glass tank sitting on a stand that may or not be conductive sitting on a floor that is likely to be non-conductive.

Without an EGC or other fault path the only path for current is line to line....GFCIs ignore line to line current.

Quote:
Also Iv'e heard talk of all residences requiring AFCI protection being pushed by NFPA

It's more than talk, the 2008 NEC will require AFCI protection for most dwelling unit circuits,

#165322 - 06/25/07 02:25 PM Re: GFCI: Not Just For the Bath anymore [Re: iwire]
BrianP Offline

Loc: Minnesota
 Originally Posted By: iwire

However what other path for current is available here?

Water in a glass tank sitting on a stand that may or not be conductive sitting on a floor that is likely to be non-conductive.

In the example above, where the light fell in while a person was trying to open the top, consider the likely reaction of a person in that situation. It is likely that he would grab for the light to remove it quickly. Now, a person is in contact with the metal hood of the light and/or the water of the tank. Depending on what else that person is in contact with, you now have a fault path.

#165323 - 06/25/07 02:31 PM Re: GFCI: Not Just For the Bath anymore [Re: BrianP]
BrianP Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Perhaps new UL standards for aquarium lights would be a better solution. Require that the lights are suitably sealed so that they can withstand immersion in water.

#165324 - 06/25/07 02:37 PM Re: GFCI: Not Just For the Bath anymore [Re: BrianP]
ghost307 Offline

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
How about a new NFPA 70E requirement for PPE for all pets?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals