by Tjia1981
10/23/16 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 14
ghost307 7
HotLine1 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 293 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165042 - 06/16/07 11:46 PM OT:Anyone here recently given up smoking?.
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
After 18 years of smoking, I've decided to kick the habit.
The missus and I are expecting a baby in 6 months and I don't want to expose a new arrival to the stuff that is in cigarettes.
I've been off the fags for 3 days and it feels awful, I'm having cold flushes like you wouldn't believe.
I went cold turkey, I was not willing to waste money with patches and other things, most people that I've known that have tried these things have taken up smoking again.
If I'm giving up, I want to do this once and once only.
I want my kid to be in a smoke free environment, unlike me when I was growing up in the 1970's.
Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#165047 - 06/17/07 03:19 AM Re: OT:Anyone here recently given up smoking?. [Re: Trumpy]
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
Good luck Mike. \:\)
Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician

#165049 - 06/17/07 05:06 AM Re: OT:Anyone here recently given up smoking?. [Re: iwire]
Roger Offline

Loc: N.C.
I quit 4 years ago after 30 years of being a slave to them.

I went the Wellbutrin route. The hardest thing for me was breaking the routines of when I would normally light up i.e. getting in my truck in the morning, leaving a meeting, after eating, etc... but after about a week it started getting easier.

Good Luck Mike

#165052 - 06/17/07 05:56 AM Re: OT:Anyone here recently given up smoking?. [Re: Roger]
Mountain Electrician Offline

Loc: Maine, USA
I quit cold turkey 4 years ago, but I still find myself having a puff or two when I have a few cocktails. So I guess I still technically smoke, even if it's only a pack every two or three months.

Edited by Mountain Electrician (06/17/07 05:58 AM)

#165053 - 06/17/07 07:05 AM Re: OT:Anyone here recently given up smoking?. [Re: Trumpy]
Luketrician Offline

Loc: Sale Creek, TN USA
Hey Mike,

I quit back in 01' cold turkey. That was only after trying other techniques like the patch, or 'cutting back' stair step methods. The patch will make your heart rate skyrocket also btw.

It was extremely difficult the first two months. Even up to this day I still crave a cigarette every now and then. I'm not sure if the addiction ever goes away. You just have to be strong and tell yourself NO, when the cravings start.

Oh, and I went through alot of sunflower seeds during the first year, and gum too. Prolong your life Mike, you can do it!
Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

#165054 - 06/17/07 07:18 AM Re: OT:Anyone here recently given up smoking?. [Re: Luketrician]
Tom Offline

Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
I quit in 2000 after about 30 years of setting fire to my hard earned money. I used the patches for about a week, then quit those too.

You're doing the right thing for some very good reasons which will help you in the long run.

Good luck & keep us posted, both about the quitting and when the baby arrives.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

#165057 - 06/17/07 09:12 AM Re: OT:Anyone here recently given up smoking?. [Re: Tom]
JoeTestingEngr Offline

Loc: Chicago, Il.
Good luck quitting Mike! I used to beg my little girl's mom not to smoke around her but would come home to see a layering effect of smoke above her. Definately not good for little lungs.

Recently, I've heard alot about "Laser Concepts", being an effective means to quitting. Has anyone here heard good or bad feedback on them? I would be willing to spring for it for my little girl's bio-folks if I thought it had half a chance of working.

#165062 - 06/17/07 11:47 AM Re: OT:Anyone here recently given up smoking?. [Re: JoeTestingEngr]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
My wife quit cigarettes about 8-10 years ago but she is still hooked on the gum. We buy it from New Zealand, 2500 pieces at a time.
I predict some day there will be a whole generation of gum addicts that never smoked. This used to be like ground up cigarette buts and silly putty but the new stuff is actually just nicotine laced peppermint gum. Can bubble gum be far behind? Maybe with baseball cards inside? Bear in mind the original cards came with cigarettes.
Greg Fretwell

#165068 - 06/17/07 01:13 PM Re: OT:Anyone here recently given up smoking?. [Re: Trumpy]
e57 Offline

Loc: S.F.,CA USA
I too am an expectant father to be, (mid-August) and trying to quit, cutting down before I pull the plug. Getting below a pack a day has been hard enough, the next month is going to be interesting as I get to the last day. (8-01-07) At that point I may just hand-cuff myself in a room - seriously.
Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

#165069 - 06/17/07 01:51 PM Re: OT:Anyone here recently given up smoking?. [Re: e57]
Roger Offline

Loc: N.C.
I had set up my target day for April 1, so at 9:30 PM on March 31 2003, I got up out of my chair on my porch (hadn't smoked in the house for years) and smashed the remaining cigarettes in my hand then threw them in the trash can.

After being a 1.5 to 2 pack a day smoker, I really didn't think I would make it, but 4 years later I haven't touched one.

You guys can do it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals