Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Today at 03:17 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16462 - 11/11/02 07:01 PM Portable generator hookup
Electricmanscott Offline

Loc: Holden, MA USA
I have a customer that would like a manual generator setup. I planned to use one of the "Gen Tran" tranfer switch setups with six circuits. The problem is the generator receptacle is a 20A 250V three wire twistlock. The panel takes a 4 wire. I thought I'd throw this out to the vast knowledge base here and see what comes up.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#16463 - 11/12/02 03:31 AM Re: Portable generator hookup
Trainwire Offline

Loc: Strasburg,PA,USA
I don't know if what I did is legal or not, but I ran a four wire cord from the transfer switch back to the generator and put a three conductor plug on the generator end, and ran the green conductor out the cord grip and put a ring terminal on the end, and a stud and wing nut on the generator frame. The bigger generators have four wire outlets.

TW

#16464 - 11/12/02 08:30 AM Re: Portable generator hookup
caselec Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
TW - I think his problem is that there isn't a neutral at this receptacle only 2 hots and a ground.

If that is the case I think the homeowner needs to go shopping for a different generator. I have seen many of the cheap ones that have a 20A - 250V receptacle and a 30A - 125V receptacle but not any 4 wire receptacles. Unfortunately most of the pre-built transfer switches like the one you are describing need a 4-wire connection. If the generator does have the 30A - 125V receptacle you could build your own transfer switch out of a small load center using 2 main breakers with an interlock but if you are feeding multi wire circuits this would not be a good idea. Another option is try to find a cheap auto XMFR and use this to create the needed 4th wire.

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 11-12-2002).]

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals