The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!


2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Forum Software Upgrade coming soon...
by Webmaster
9 minutes 34 seconds ago
Faricating Guards out if Lexan?
by frank
Today at 04:33 PM
Would ELV branch circuits be a good idea?
by LongRunner
Today at 07:42 AM
100% breakers?
by Texas_Ranger
Today at 06:13 AM
Dangerous DIY Advice
by Potseal
01/12/17 09:52 AM
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 15
gfretwell 11
Webmaster 11
ghost307 10
Trumpy 9
Who's Online
2 registered (sparkyinak, Webmaster), 110 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164467 - 06/04/07 05:21 AM Canadian licence = USA licence equivalent?
Sparkee Offline

Registered: 01/11/06
Posts: 19
Loc: Australia
Hi there

Firstly sorry for the description in the title but it was all I could fit in the box!
I am from Australia and have got certification in Vancouver awhile ago. I am still working in Australia but wondering if having the Canadian licence would help me get a job in the states as an Electrician? Is it considered the equivalent of the ticket in the States? I also have a ticket as an Instrument fitter in Australia.

I would like to work in California it possible for me to sit an examination there travelling through?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#164489 - 06/04/07 03:47 PM Re: Canadian licence = USA licence equivalent? [Re: Sparkee]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Registered: 01/22/05
Posts: 5305
Loc: Blue Collar Country
Unlike almost every other country, and something we learned from the Swiss, almost all of our laws / regulations / licenses are determined by governmental bodies other than the US Government.

For electrical work, the matter is decided by each State .... and, in many cases, the States pass the responsibility down to the town or county. There are even places where not even as electrical contractor is required to have any license at all!

Canada is extremely similar to the USA, at least in terms of the hardware used. There are many differences in the specific codes- but nothing like the differences between Canada and the rest of the world.

If you belong to a trade organization or Union, it is very possible that they have some sort of arrangement with a similar group here.

Otherwise, when it comes to 'work' visas, the USA tends to vary it's rules to match where you are from. In your case, that means getting hired before you come here to work, getting the work visa while outside the USA, etc. The prospective employer will be expected to fill out mountains of paperwork on your behalf.

Most places will not let you take the local license exam absent work experience that they can verify, completion of an apprenticeship they recognize, etc.

"Instrument Fitter" sounds like something done by the members of the ISA - the Instrumentation Society of America. I suggest you look to them as a source of certification, etc.
If you can qualify for their certifications, it is very possible that willing employers can be found, and you will be able to take advantage of special visa rules, intended for bringing "Professionals" here on a temporary basis.

#164515 - 06/04/07 08:31 PM Re: Canadian licence = USA licence equivalent? [Re: renosteinke]
e57 Offline

Registered: 05/27/03
Posts: 2837
Loc: S.F.,CA USA
While your experiance may count (probhably will, doesnt seem anyone is checking anyway... ;\) )

But if heading to California - to work LEGALLY - you need to arrange to sit for the "Certification test" in California. Here it is a reletively new... No thats not right... Its a nearly ten year old fiasco that has nearly no enforcement whatsoever created to benifit very few so it seems law that is either run by the corrupt, or ignorant! There I said it.... While technically illegal to work not having taken that stupid test, all but prevailing wage jobs are ignoring the law at this point. But if "travelling" you may want to take it as it will better you chances on the job hunt... Other States will have or not have their own criteria.

Some info and links to the application can be found on the link below.

Reno, if a "fashion model" is considered a "skilled profesional" enough for a H1B visa I think "Electrician" should qualify for that or any of the other great visas we have... Although I believe only one or two allow you to work legally that is... H1B and H2B he could apply for. FYI they filled the 60k+ slots for H1B in an afternoon for this year and turned away a few hundred thousand.... So chances are slim there But I know a few people who have gotten H2B's easily with a moderate wait as electricians before. Some info on that can be found below:

(I think there is one more for students J-1 or something...)

Edited by e57 (06/04/07 08:35 PM)
Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason


ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals