by Tjia1981
10/23/16 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 14
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164106 - 05/24/07 10:35 PM Why Arc flash PPE is important......
mxslick Offline

Loc: Atomic City, ID USA
I found THIS VIDEO and it demonstrates graphically why PPE is important!

Several things come to mind watching this:

• Safe clearances of all flammable goods;
  • Maintaining a safe working distance during testing/operation;
  • That "enclosed" switchgear isn't arc-flash enclosing;
  • and Stay out of a switchroom with a CO2 system (watch the left near the end of the video.)

The comments indicated this was a 10,000Hp motor starter that failed.

Be safe everybody!!

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#164689 - 06/08/07 06:10 PM Re: Why Arc flash PPE is important...... [Re: mxslick]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Really a good thing the enclosure was 'covered', and all the hardware was tight.

Any clue why there was a video camera on a piece of gear, and a door with some kind of caution tape?

#164704 - 06/08/07 11:24 PM Re: Why Arc flash PPE is important...... [Re: HotLine1]
mxslick Offline

Loc: Atomic City, ID USA
John, my best guess is that they probably were having some issues with this starter and had set up the camera for the test.

What I do find disturbing is that there were obviously at least two people in the room with this test (the camera operator and someone who is briefly visible on the extreme left of the frame right before the CO2 system fires off), which was a very bad idea. First because of the arc that occurred, and that it is unclear if they safely got out of the room when the CO2 did fire off.

I had the misfortune of having a CO2 cylinder that I was transporting in the cab of my truck,(one of my more stupid moments) with NO cover on the valve, discharge while I was parking. The CO2 filled the cab very rapidly and I began to "grey out" after only a few seconds, luckily I was stopped at that time and opened the door and got out. I was amazed at the volume of CO2 discharged in such a short time. I found out why it is an effective fire supressor. \:\)

I am registered with Youtube and will add a comment to see if the person posting can answer why there were people present during this incident.

#166571 - 07/23/07 05:35 PM Re: Why Arc flash PPE is important...... [Re: mxslick]
Cutter Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
What sort of PPE level are we talking about if someone was working in front of the cabinet, doors open, when the incident occurred?

My gut feeling is at least level 2, but guessing with this sort of thing can be inviting disaster. The worker would have to know and maintain a safe approach distance too.

Edited by Cutter (07/23/07 05:39 PM)

#168525 - 09/07/07 02:23 PM Re: Why Arc flash PPE is important...... [Re: Cutter]
SteveFehr Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
The comments state that this was the commissioning. It IS odd that they taped it, though- I wonder if they suspected a problem?

Without knowing fault current levels, it's impossible to say what level PPE is required.

Edited by SteveFehr (09/07/07 02:24 PM)

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals