Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163903 - 05/20/07 03:02 PM (AU) Crabtree 5A Plug & GEC (?) Socket
Webmaster Offline

Administrator

Loc: NY, USA
 Quote:
Hello,

I found these items in a box of fittings I purchased from the Murray Bridge area of South Australia. The area had a 250 VDC supply prior to the 240 VAC 50Hz being standard in the area.

The three pictures show the plug & socket. Unfortunately, the socket has a bit missing around the Earth pin. The markings on the back of the socket are:

MADE IN ENGLAND
VITREOUS
5A 250V

The manufacturers' mark looks like a horseshoe magnet with wire around it with the letters GEC with this mark.

Darren Carroll
Alice Springs, NT, Australia

Super Rod Cable Installation Tools

Super Rod Cable Rod System
Super Rod Cable Rod System -
Voted
Best Product of the Last 50 Years by members of NICEIC

#164027 - 05/23/07 09:25 AM Re: (AU) Crabtree 5A Plug & GEC (?) Socket [Re: Webmaster]
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
They're typical of British fittings of the 1940s/1950s era.

I mentioned elsewhere the possible switch interlock to prevent a switch being turned on until a plug was inserted, but there were definitely outlets which when mated with the correct plug did the opposite function, i.e. prevented you from removing a plug with the switch on. The recesses in the earth pin of that plug provided the function.

In the "old days" here, our Regs. specified that outlets on a D.C. supply had to be controlled by an integral or adjacent switch. There was no such requirement for A.C. outlets.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals