Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm▓ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 10
sparkyinak 9
Texas_Ranger 8
Potseal 6
Who's Online
1 registered (Tjia1981), 219 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163900 - 05/20/07 02:11 PM Inspections: Sometimes they work!
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
I had a customer, a restaurant, that decided to do a little expansion after the inspections were completed.

This pic shows the shed they made, which (in part) rested atop their walk-in cooler, completely buried the switchgear, and also blocked all vents to the water heaters:

Here's an inside view. The switchgear -supposed to be accessible to the outside - isn't even accessible inside the shed. The cabinet you see a bit of on the right encloses the water heater. Note the framing; the block wall will give you some idea of the spacing for those hefty 2x4 rafters:

Finally, here's a pic after the inspector returned:

The sad part is that these folks ... there is a language barrier ... have no understanding of what they did wrong. Failure to get a permit is the least of their construction sins!

Building Codes & Related References
#164283 - 05/30/07 07:59 AM Re: Inspections: Sometimes they work! [Re: renosteinke]
ITO Offline

Loc: Texas
I wonder if they understand the health codes.

#164295 - 05/30/07 04:04 PM Re: Inspections: Sometimes they work! [Re: ITO]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
Good question.

In all fairness to these folks, they do seem to know the food business.

If they have a failing, it is one shared by many others. It's the 'I'm smart, I know one trade ... therefore I can do other folks' jobs too" mindset.

I had the pleasure of doing the original electric on this place myself. I have also posted many, many pics here of electrical work they decided to do themselves.

So what's a guy to do? Well, I hit upon the idea of bringing every inspector from within 75 miles here for lunch ... as part of the monthly IAEI meeting \:D The look on the face of the GC as a parade of government cars entered the lot was priceless \:D

For some reason, that particular GC suddenly developed some respect for his electrician.
Even the customer still likes me, because my stuff works. (The plumber needed over a year to make a new toilet stop leaking \:\( )

#164424 - 06/02/07 08:46 PM Re: Inspections: Sometimes they work! [Re: renosteinke]
BGaquin Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA
I have seen two other restaurants do the same thing,,,jack leg sheds.....

Restaurants lead the list of commercial users with questionable electrical systems. Once completed and inspected they seem to hire the lowest quality electricians, never do maintenance, and just add, add, add.

Edited by BGaquin (06/02/07 08:47 PM)

#175921 - 03/14/08 07:23 PM Re: Inspections: Sometimes they work! [Re: renosteinke]
kohli Offline

Loc: Ohlo Putnam Co
As a active I A E I member {northwest div ohio chapter } I like the idea of useing some of the places like this for a meeting every or four months I like show & tell it makes people aware of what is going on

#176110 - 03/20/08 02:58 PM Re: Inspections: Sometimes they work! [Re: kohli]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
How about the poor guy who signed off the crane inspection in NY without getting out of his truck?
This guy might do time

Edited by Trumpy (03/23/08 12:44 PM)
Edit Reason: Removed profanity

#176164 - 03/23/08 07:25 AM Re: Inspections: Sometimes they work! [Re: gfretwell]
leland Offline

Loc: Lowell area, Ma. USA
 Originally Posted By: gfretwell
How about the poor guy who signed off the crane inspection in NY without getting out of his truck?
This guy might do time

Ya, Big trouble he has now!
Makes you wonder, did he just take a check? If so, how many times has he been Lucky?

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals