By Julie Tullberg
May 20, 2007 12:00am
Article from: AAP
A 21-YEAR-OLD man is fighting for his life after suffering an electric shock while standing in a water puddle in Melbourne's west.
The Footscray man and a friend were exploring a vacant warehouse in Barnool Ave in Yarraville when trouble struck about 7pm (AEST) yesterday.
â€śIt appears the Footscray man climbed up onto a second-storey mezzanine floor and came into contact with bare wires from a large electrical transformer,â€ť Victoria Police spokeswoman Sheree Argento said.
â€śPolice estimate the man was subjected to 470 volts, made worse by the fact that he was standing in a puddle of water at the time.â€ť
He was found 30 minutes later by his friend, a 21-year-old from Altona who had been exploring another part of the building.
â€śThe man sustained extensive burns to his left arm and other serious injuries and was taken to Royal Melbourne Hospital, where he remains in a life-threatening condition,â€ť Ms Argento said.
Ms Argento said it was believed the men visited the warehouse after logging onto a website that urged people to explore drains and vacant buildings.http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21762751-1702,00.html