ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163834 - 05/18/07 09:27 AM Door swing on utility rooms
mikesh Offline
Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
I just had a discussion with one of our building inspectors regarding the direction a door swings from an electrical room or other utility room. I have an electrical room in a high fault part of the downtown. The door swings into the electrical room and I think that if there was a large energy fault like an arc blast or arc fault where an electricain might be set on fire would present a hazard to the workers. The BI mentioned a worker that drown in a sprinkler room because he could not open the door against the weight of the water.

There does not seem to be a Canadian building code reference that speaks to this. Any other codes address this and how? What about panic hardware? I expect a burning electrician or gas worker might have a problem turning a door knob and pulling the door in in a state of panic. Heck I don't think to many people can remember Stop drop and roll to smother flames.
Building Codes & Related References
#163838 - 05/18/07 11:29 AM Re: Door swing on utility rooms [Re: mikesh]
ghost307 Offline
Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
NEC has a requirement for panic hardware and 2 doors opening out, but it's only applicable for 1200A and above.
It's 110.26C2.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals