ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16334 - 11/09/02 09:40 PM Estimating references
EDW Offline
Loc: Delavan WI USA
Can someone out there suggest a good estimating/cost reference guide. I have 22 years in as member of the IBEW, but have just recently decided to go it on my own contracting. I have seen some software programs like Electrical Bid Master but can't see coughing up $1500 right now considering i will be starting out small. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#16335 - 11/09/02 09:56 PM Re: Estimating references
sparky66wv Offline
Loc: West Virginia
As with most endeavors, I've found:

Success comes from good decisions.
Good decisions come from knowledge.
Knowledge comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad decisions.

Kind of a twist on the trial and error thing, but that's how I've been doing it (and paraphrased from the original, of which the source I cannot remember)...

No other trick or tool seems to help other than losing money an a few houses and learning the hard way.

That is my experience.

<results may vary...>
Member IAEI
#16336 - 11/10/02 02:26 PM Re: Estimating references
CTwireman Offline
Loc: Connecticut, USA
RS Means
NECA manual
Accubid (software)

I have used all 3 with great results, however, I have no idea how much they cost.
#16337 - 11/11/02 07:12 AM Re: Estimating references
Wirenuttt Offline
Loc: Massachusetts
Hey EDW.....I think it depends on the type of work your doing right now, does it warrant such an investment? I would just bid accordingly, Time and material, keep track of what the results are to help you figure job costs. Then you can start bidding. That's just my advice. I remember when I first started on my own, I was calling other electricians an pretending to be a homeowner who needs a service change to get prices, that's when I found out that it was a flat rate, more money than T & M for this particular installation. Not saying this way is right, but sometimes you just have to make certain inquiries.

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 11-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 11-11-2002).]

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals