ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16303 - 11/09/02 12:16 PM lightning storm and hot / ground reversed
dripjoy Offline
Loc: apple valley, ca, usa
the other night we had a lightning storm here in san francisco, and since then the outlets on my office circuit don't work. the breaker wasn't thrown, and when i test it using a little plug-in circuit tester, it says hot and ground are reversed. could this have happened from the storm? what the heck?
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#16304 - 11/09/02 12:34 PM Re: lightning storm and hot / ground reversed
NJwirenut Offline
Loc: Bergen County, NJ
I can't see any way that a lightning event could reverse the polarity. Are you sure that it was OK prior to the storm?

At any rate, you should call a licensed electrician to check this one out. The polarity error could be anywhere between the outlet and the main breaker panel.
#16305 - 11/09/02 02:57 PM Re: lightning storm and hot / ground reversed
maintenanceguy Offline
Loc: Southern NJ, USA
I recently saw an outlet that tested as hot and neutral reversed with one of those $12 plug in testers.

I found a burned off ground wire when I opened the outlet box. I thought that was odd but didn't expect that to be the problem. I fixed the ground and the problem went away.

The only explination I can come up with is that there was some voltage feeding back through a light or some appliance that had enough current to light the wrong neon lamp.

Truth is, I still don't have a clear picture in my head why this solved the problem.
#16306 - 11/09/02 03:14 PM Re: lightning storm and hot / ground reversed
Bill Addiss Offline
Loc: NY, USA
Is there a GFCI receptacle on this circuit? If there is I would check that out first.

Bill

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (gfretwell), 95 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals