April 16, 2007 05:45pm
Article from: AAP
TWO university workers have been taken to a Melbourne hospital suffering burns after an accident in an electrical substation.
WorkSafe Victoria spokesman Michael Birt said the two men were working in an electrical substation at Monash University's Clayton campus, in Melbourne's southeast when the accident happened today.
"Around 2.15pm (AEST) two Monash University electricians and a subcontractor were working in a substation near Wellington Road, when the two Monash employees received electric shocks," Mr Birt said.
"They suffered burns to their face, hands and arms," he said.
"They were taken to The Alfred Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries."
Mr Birt said the men had been working in the substation after a pole fire at 12.30pm in a nearby street had disrupted electricity supplies to the university.
"They were testing cabling as a result of the earlier outage when they suffered the shock," he said.
Mr Birt said the third man who was working in the substation was not injured.
He said WorkSafe investigators were at the scene.http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21566204-1702,00.html