by Tjia1981
Yesterday at 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 7
ghost307 6
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162024 - 04/11/07 09:03 PM Fire Alarm Conductors
RobbieD Offline

Loc: Canada
I know that if you are using stranded conductors with more then 7 strands you must bunch tin them or use a proper compression clamp. My question is WRT the wires in the Fire Alarm devices.

Say for example a listed device such as a supervised sprinkler valve. Inside the listed device is a micro switch with stranded copper conductors. Must these also be tinned even though it is a listed device or does that just apply to the condustors that we are bringing to the device?

I know that it would make sense to tin them but if it is required then why don't the manufacturers do it?

Just wondering if i have to get the soldering iron out to tin the conductors that are part of the listed assembly. Any help appreciated.

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#162034 - 04/12/07 07:13 AM Re: Fire Alarm Conductors [Re: RobbieD]
jay8 Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
What I usually use is the crimp on wire caps if I am bringing stranded wire to the device, this covers the rule, I believe, since all wires are covered under an appropriate crimped connector. I also find stranded wires from the factory come tinned, unless you cut the wire and loose the tinned end.

#162139 - 04/13/07 02:45 PM Re: Fire Alarm Conductors [Re: jay8]
RobbieD Offline

Loc: Canada
Still asking the question.
These wires were not cut, that is the way they came with the valve.

#162234 - 04/14/07 11:18 PM Re: Fire Alarm Conductors [Re: RobbieD]
Check Pilot Offline

Loc: Edmonton Alberta Canada
I always tin any stranded conductors and usually even go so far as to solder the stranded to the solid before putting on a wire nut. It does take a few more minutes to do, but I know the connection will not likely provide an opportunity for future corrosion and problems with intermittent troubles down the road.

#162263 - 04/15/07 08:17 PM Re: Fire Alarm Conductors [Re: Check Pilot]
LarryC Offline

Loc: Winchester, NH, US
 Originally Posted By: Check Pilot
I always tin any stranded conductors

One thing to watch out for when tinning stranded conductors, using them under a compression style connector can result in the failure of the connection. The soldered bundle of wire strands may fracture and break apart under compression, resulting in a loose connection.

I use the soft copper ferrules when terminating small stranded wires (16-24 AWG) in control panels for industrial applications.

#162410 - 04/18/07 08:03 PM Re: Fire Alarm Conductors [Re: Check Pilot]
twh Offline

Loc: Regina, Sask.
If you solder the wires together, in the device, how do you separate the wires during the verification process?

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals