ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162024 - 04/11/07 09:03 PM Fire Alarm Conductors
RobbieD Offline
Loc: Canada
I know that if you are using stranded conductors with more then 7 strands you must bunch tin them or use a proper compression clamp. My question is WRT the wires in the Fire Alarm devices.

Say for example a listed device such as a supervised sprinkler valve. Inside the listed device is a micro switch with stranded copper conductors. Must these also be tinned even though it is a listed device or does that just apply to the condustors that we are bringing to the device?

I know that it would make sense to tin them but if it is required then why don't the manufacturers do it?

Just wondering if i have to get the soldering iron out to tin the conductors that are part of the listed assembly. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
Tools for Electricians:
#162034 - 04/12/07 07:13 AM Re: Fire Alarm Conductors [Re: RobbieD]
jay8 Offline
Loc: Vancouver, BC
What I usually use is the crimp on wire caps if I am bringing stranded wire to the device, this covers the rule, I believe, since all wires are covered under an appropriate crimped connector. I also find stranded wires from the factory come tinned, unless you cut the wire and loose the tinned end.
#162139 - 04/13/07 02:45 PM Re: Fire Alarm Conductors [Re: jay8]
RobbieD Offline
Loc: Canada
Still asking the question.
These wires were not cut, that is the way they came with the valve.
#162234 - 04/14/07 11:18 PM Re: Fire Alarm Conductors [Re: RobbieD]
Check Pilot Offline
Loc: Edmonton Alberta Canada
I always tin any stranded conductors and usually even go so far as to solder the stranded to the solid before putting on a wire nut. It does take a few more minutes to do, but I know the connection will not likely provide an opportunity for future corrosion and problems with intermittent troubles down the road.
#162263 - 04/15/07 08:17 PM Re: Fire Alarm Conductors [Re: Check Pilot]
LarryC Offline
Loc: Winchester, NH, US
Originally Posted By Check Pilot
I always tin any stranded conductors

One thing to watch out for when tinning stranded conductors, using them under a compression style connector can result in the failure of the connection. The soldered bundle of wire strands may fracture and break apart under compression, resulting in a loose connection.

I use the soft copper ferrules when terminating small stranded wires (16-24 AWG) in control panels for industrial applications.
#162410 - 04/18/07 08:03 PM Re: Fire Alarm Conductors [Re: Check Pilot]
twh Offline
Loc: Regina, Sask.
If you solder the wires together, in the device, how do you separate the wires during the verification process?

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals