by Tjia1981
Today at 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm▓ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 12
HotLine1 7
ghost307 6
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
1 registered (HotLine1), 162 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161945 - 04/10/07 10:27 AM The Ultimate "OOPS" ... or is PVC better?
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
This story is stolen from EC&M Magazine, as submitted by Walter Wallis of Middletown, N.J.:

"In a chemical plant where I worked, the soda products unit was undergoing major production improvements, including bringing in more water and electricity. The plumbers made the final connection to the 3-inch galvanized water pipe they had stubbed in earlier, and turned on the water. Suddenly, everything in the plant went silent. Water was spewing out of every starter fed from the wiring gutter the 3-inch conduit was connected to."

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#161950 - 04/10/07 01:03 PM Re: The Ultimate "OOPS" ... or is PVC better? [Re: renosteinke]
LK Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I read that STORY and wondered how anyone could mistake rigid conduit, and where were the wires in this conduit? missing a few facts with this STORY.

#161954 - 04/10/07 02:02 PM Re: The Ultimate "OOPS" ... or is PVC better? [Re: LK]
ITO Offline

Loc: Texas
I did a clean up one time where the previous electrical contractor found out the hard way that the UG duct bank conduit was full of water.

He crawled in the manhole, put a mouse on a string, started the compressor up, then proceeded to flood a hot switchboard in the building.

This was a big plant and they were really unhappy about it.
101┬░ Rx = + /_\

#161974 - 04/11/07 03:59 AM Re: The Ultimate "OOPS" ... or is PVC better? [Re: ITO]
mahlere Offline

Loc: New Jersey
The guy lives in my hometown. I don't know, but might have to track him down to clarify a few things \:\)

#161984 - 04/11/07 06:52 AM Re: The Ultimate "OOPS" ... or is PVC better? [Re: mahlere]
venture Offline

Loc: San Diego Ca USA
We had just installed a large vault with 8 stress cones at a large campus. The man hole cover was clearly marked Electrical Danger High Voltage. The soccer field flooded so the grounds keeper hooked up a pump and removed the man hole cover and put the discharge hose in the vault. Big mess and darkness all over campus. Rod

#161989 - 04/11/07 08:51 AM Re: The Ultimate "OOPS" ... or is PVC better? [Re: venture]
Trainwire Offline

Loc: Strasburg,PA,USA
"No wonder these pipes don't woik, dem's fulla wois" nyuk nyuk.

"Dis house sho goin crazy!"

#161996 - 04/11/07 10:11 AM Re: The Ultimate "OOPS" ... or is PVC better? [Re: Trainwire]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
This as a regular gag in the old post silent movie era. The 3 stooges, Marx brothers and WC Fields all used it. It always ended up with luminaires squirting water. Back in the olden days when the existing gas pipes got wires pulled through them this was not that crazy an idea.
Greg Fretwell

#162000 - 04/11/07 02:59 PM Re: The Ultimate "OOPS" ... or is PVC better? [Re: gfretwell]
Tiger Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL USA
A little off topic...I've never seen wires pulled through gas line. I have a hard time believing wires could be pulled through the 90 degree fittings.

#162004 - 04/11/07 03:47 PM Re: The Ultimate "OOPS" ... or is PVC better? [Re: Tiger]
frenchelectrican Offline

Loc: Wi/ Paris France { France for ...
i did see few older home have old gas pipe that genrally are 1/2 some case 3/4 inch pipe and they ran the wire inside but for sharp 90degree bend that part that i just cant figure it out with out tearing the wire apart like that.

one case it did actally happend to me one pipe did actally charged with natural gaz and some how the homeowner change the fixure and did not put proper seal on the pipe and i did do the trouble shooting and saw a spark next thing i got flameball went by my head i just swear for a min then found out that someone did change pipe connection and i guess what it did when i loosen up the wires on lumimaire capony cover and got me by suprise.

Merci , Marc
Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#162209 - 04/14/07 02:35 PM Re: The Ultimate "OOPS" ... or is PVC better? [Re: renosteinke]
BigJohn Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
I read that same story. Reminded me of when I was a helper working in a high-rise and the laborers needed to pump off the rain water that had accumulated on the upper floors. They dropped the hoses into the nearest galvanized pipe and turned on the pumps... and a couple of stories below the mechanics installing the guts in the fire-alarm panels got an un-expected shower. The galvi was a rigid FA riser.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals