by Potseal
Yesterday at 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
2 registered (jraef, LongRunner), 188 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160245 - 08/30/05 07:15 PM Wall Penetrations
Webmaster Offline

Administrator

Loc: NY, USA
 Quote:
The sound guy had to 'fish' a wire- so, naturally, he made a hole somewhat larger than the wire.

What I'd like to know is- are there fittings used to close this hole afterwards? Or, do you guys also fix sheetrock?

I doubt what this guy did- walk away, leaving a 2" hole- is considered proper.

- renosteinke

Study Guides for VDV / Structured Cabling Installers
#160246 - 08/30/05 07:29 PM Re: Wall Penetrations
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I have seen a split blank cover with a hole in the middle, put in a LV ring.

#160247 - 08/30/05 11:31 PM Re: Wall Penetrations
techie Offline

Loc: palo alto, ca usa
It looks like a molded VGA cable, which is going to require at least a 1.5" hole to get it thru the wall..

I agree, use a LV ring, and a split cover..

They also make plastic rings designed for desks, with a snap in cover, but they are probably not suited for walls..

#160248 - 08/31/05 12:34 AM Re: Wall Penetrations
e57 Offline

Loc: S.F.,CA USA
For a VGA, or serial connector there aren't too many other ways... Short of cutting the cord, or a 2-3" grommet. Reno, is this a fire wall?

#160249 - 08/31/05 08:04 PM Re: Wall Penetrations
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
E57, this is not a fire wall- just a gypsum faced residential wall. You can see it in the picture- this wall ia well under two feet long. At least- the part where the hole is.

The other wall- the one with the "wiremold" box and antennae jack- is an exterior wall, and not fire-rated.

Now, I'd like to brag a litle, but that piece of equipment is hiding the part of the wall that I had worked on previously. There is a receptacle on the "away" side of the wall; previously I had tapped into that box to feed an outside receptacle on the opposite side of the wall from the "wiremold" box. I had patched the wall.
This guy- or the complex maintenance man- had in turn tapped into the outside receptacle to feed back into the wall, where he in turn fed another receptacle in the wiremold box.

The point is- I had hacked up the wall some, and then fixed it. This guy was happy to leave a big, fat hole. It just seems like poor workmanship.
I realise that these guys use different materials than electricians- but I would have expected the hole to be closed in some manner!

#160250 - 09/01/05 02:44 AM Re: Wall Penetrations
macmikeman Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Time for some expando foam.

#160251 - 09/01/05 05:36 AM Re: Wall Penetrations
mkoloj Offline

Loc: NNJ\NYC
Expando foam ?? NOthing to do with the serial connection ??
If you used that foam in my house to trim out that cable I would be a little upset, when a product like this is available : http://siemon.com/apps/Utilities/showIma...F-15-XX_big.jpg

Cut in a low voltage mounting bracket connect the cable that was fished in the wall to the back of the frame that I linked and blank up the extra 4 openings, then install a Decora faceplate and that VGA cable looks like it was installed professionally.
Now that I look at the pic a little closer I see there is another part to that cable besides the VGA.
What is that ? I want to see if I can put something together to clean this up.

#160252 - 09/01/05 10:39 AM Re: Wall Penetrations
macmikeman Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Mkoloj, Please do not confuse my lousy attempt at humor with incompetence. I have built my own houses more than once. A proper drywall repair is no problem for me. What would be a problem for me is the way the guy walked away from a mouse hole like this one. He would not get away with that at my house.

#160253 - 09/01/05 12:00 PM Re: Wall Penetrations
mkoloj Offline

Loc: NNJ\NYC
Good thing you were joking, I thought for a minute that the expanding foam was an option to somebody. That hole he bored in the wall does not even look like it needs to be repaired, maybve a little more cut out to be bale to fit a plate in the wall to dress that up a little. That is not even a bad install, maybe a little unsightly to the trained eye, but the one's I love the best are the network guys who just cut a little hole in an acoustical ceiling tile and "jungle drop" right against the wall.
Is the cable pictured even listed to be installed in the wall ????

#160254 - 09/01/05 01:07 PM Re: Wall Penetrations
hbiss Offline

Loc: Hawthorne, NY USA
What is that thing and what is it doing there anyway??

-Hal

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals